can I be an enrichment

< Previous | Next >

Philipp_Austria

German - Austria
Hi,

Is it possible to use the word “enrichment” referring to human beings?
In the concrete sentence a person asks himself, what he could do to enrich other people’s lives (for example in form of doing good things). Is it possible to say:

- How can I be an enrichment for this company?
- How can I be an enrichment for the society?
- He is an enrichment for our company.

Is the word enrichment possible here or are there better words (e.g. "gain")? I definitely want to use a noun, not a verb like in the sentence:
“How can I enrich other people’s lives?”

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    None of those ideas sound very idiomatic to me.

As I was reading your suggestions my natural inclination was to re-cast with a verb. I have no idea why you don’t want to use a verb, since that is the most natural solution with enrich/ment.

ewie

English English
    Hullo Philipp. Asset is the word we'd use in BrE:
    How can I be an asset to the company?
    How can I be an asset to society?
    He's an asset to the company.

EDIT: Suzi makes a good general point. Refusing to use a verb (or an adjective) where we would naturally use a verb (or an adjective) not only limits you but often results in unidiomatic English: We like verbs!

Philipp_Austria

German - Austria
    Thanks for your answers suzi br and ewie!

I have no idea why you don’t want to use a verb,
    Yah - the reason why I want to use a noun is that the person says something about himself: "I am an enrichment".
    The sentence should express WHAT THE PERSON IS instead of WHAT HE DOES or HOW he is.

How can I be an asset to society?
    He's an asset to the company.
    Thanks for your suggestion. Would these be idiomatic then?

The whole sencente then would be:
    "Since free market represents the rule “The more people love your product or the service you provide, the more money you will earn”, capitalism particularly fosters a form of self-discovery that is driven by the question: "How can I be an asset for the society".

< Previous | Next >