"Can I get pure/plain black coffee, please?"

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)

Which one of these two would you rather say ?

Thanks.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)

Which one of these two would you rather say ?

Thanks.
    Neither :D

--I would like to have black coffee, please. (I think "black coffee" will do :))

roniy

Neither :D

--I would like to have black coffee, please. (I think "black coffee" will do :))

Then, let's change coffee by 'water'. What would you choose, then??

And what I wanted to say is that I want coffee without suger and milk.

Thanks.

nichec

Then, let's change coffee by 'water'. What would you choose, then??

And what I wanted to say is that I want coffee without suger and milk.

Thanks.
    Yes, I understand/understood. "Black coffee" is coffee without sugar and milk!

--How would you like your coffee?
    --Black. (meaning: no sugar and no milk)

roniy

Yes, I understand. "Black coffee" is coffee without sugar and milk!

--How would you like your coffee?
    --Black. (meaning: no sugar and no milk)
    OK , thanks.

And how about 'water' ?

Do you say ' plain water' or 'pure water' ?

expenseroso

United States, English
    Usually water is served with ice in the U.S. If you want it without ice, just say "I'll have a water, no ice please" or something like that.

Other than ice, I can't imagine what else water would be served with.

nichec

OK , thanks.

And how about 'water' ?

In the USA and Europe, tap water is drinkable.
    So if you order water in the cafe or restaurant, they would ask you if you want tap water (free) or mineral water (Evian.....), and then you have the ones with gas and the ones without gas.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    OK , thanks.

And how about 'water' ?

Do you mean tap water vs. bottled water or flavoured water? "Pure" water doesn't really make sense to me - where does one get "pure" water? "Plain" water (unflavoured) could be from a tap or a bottle...

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Black" coffee is coffee without milk -- although it is entirely possible to drink black coffee with sugar, and a lot of sugar at that. However, if one ordered "black coffee, please" in a restaurant or coffee shop, it is extremely unlikely that you would be served any sugar in it. [Just as an aside, I will note that in New York City, coffee is ordered in one of five "colors", based on how much milk or cream is --or is not -- added. In ascending order of the addition of milk or cream, those five are "black" (no milk or cream), "dark" ( a very little), "regular" (a moderate amount), "light" (somewhat more than the usual), and "white" (quite a bit of milk or cream, think of something like cafe au lait.)]

To order "pure water" implies that you think the place would otherwise serve "impure" water -- that is, water contaminated with dirt or bacteria. If you thought you would be served something like sewage unless you specifically asked for something else, one would have to wonder why you patronized the place at all. "Plain water" suggests to me that the establishment would otherwise serve you mineral water, or carbonated water, or water containing slices of lemon, or something along those lines, unless you made the specific request. This seems odd; the most I have ever been asked is whether I wanted bottled (or mineral) water, or whether I would just prefer ordinary tap water.

< Previous | Next >