Can I omit "did" here?

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
"I didn't finish as much work as he did."

Is it grammatically correct to omit "did"?

"I didn't finish as much work as he".

Thank you!

• TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
    Yes, though today most people would say 'as him' if you omitted it.
    :thumbsup:

(Most people being something of an understatement, since “as much work as he” sounds archaic these days.)
    So by saying "I didn't finish as much work as him", we are basically treating the "as" as a preposition right? I looked it up but didn't find it that the word "as" as a prepostion could be used that way.
    is this use colloquial? Is it acceptable in formal writing?

If I understand this correctly, in "I didn't finish as much work as he did", the word "as" is a conjunction. and I can be sure this one is grammatically correct.
    So I am confused. Which of the below is (are) acceptable in formal writing?

I didn't finish as much work as he did.
    I didn't finish as much work as he.
    I didn't finish as much work as him.

Thank you!

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
    It’s an adverb when used to compare or emphasise a degree or amount, e.g. as much/little/many/few as. All three of your versions are acceptable, but the second one is no longer commonly used.

See the various examples here: as | Definition of as in English by Oxford Dictionaries

And the comments under USAGE here: personal pronoun | Definition of personal pronoun in English by Oxford Dictionaries
    I saw an example in one of the links.
    "They know the company as well as I do."
    Can replace "I do" with "me" in here?
    "They know the company as well as me."?

"They didn't do the job as well as I did."
    "They didn't do the job as well as me."?

I feel the second one in each pair isn't very natural and the first one might even cause confusion.

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, I agree. Obviously “as well as me” is ambiguous (since it can mean “in addition to me”), so it’s much less likely that people would use the object pronoun in those cases.

Packard

USA, English
    :thumbsup:

(Most people being something of an understatement, since “as much work as he” sounds archaic these days.)
    I used to answer the phone, "This is he". I can't bring myself to say "This is him", so I say, "This is Packard".

< Previous | Next >