Can I say "recuperate the investment"

Greeneye

Swedish
Hello everybody

I'm not sure if the use of "recuperate" in the following sentence is ok:

"in relation to the order for showroom, we are willing to agree upon an additional discount on all future purchase orders for 12 months in order to give you the possibility to recuperate the investment."

All help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Brioche

Australia English
    I would not use recuperate like that.

It's normal to talk about recuperating losses.

We've done really well this year, and managed to recuperate all the investment losses we made in 2006 and 2007.

Meeracat

You could indeed.
    However, not sure about: "in relation to the order for showroom. . ." This does not sound very elegant.

Edit: I defer to explantion of Brioche.

Last edited:

gasman

Canada, English
    As recuperate generally means to recover from an illness, I really don't hear it as a suitable term in this instance. Recoup, as suggested above, or even recover, are more usual terms to describe a satisfactory return from the investment.

Greeneye

Swedish
    So the correct sentence is:

"we are willing to provide an additional discount on all future purchase-orders for 12 months to allow you to recover your investment".

Full Tilt Boogie

British English
    So the correct sentence is:

"we are willing to provide an additional discount on all future purchase-orders for 12 months to allow you to recover your investment".

Or, you could say:

"As an additional incentive, and as a sign of our gratitude for your continued investment in us, we are happy to extend a further ['X' per cent] discount to you for a period of 12 months."

Hope that helps. :D

Loob

English UK
    Personally, I'd be more likely to say "recover", but "recoup" would also work: it can be used for both losses and expenses.