Can I survive getting hammered on killing Judge Dinsdale?

Antlers

Swedish
The above line comes from season 3 (episode 10) of Franklin and Bash.
Let me give you more of a context:

-You were meant to become a judge.
-I know. It feels that way, right? Only question is, can I survive getting hammered on killing Judge Dinsdale?

Beyond that, no details on what the second speaker is referring to.

I know "hammered" normally means drunk, but in this case that doesn't make much sense. Could it mean "convicted"? I've Googled the term but can't find any other meaning than "drunk". Please help!

• Loob

English UK
    ...Beyond that, no details on what the second speaker is referring to. ...
    Antlers, there must be more details!

Who's speaking? Who is Judge Dinsdale? Has the speaker killed Judge Dinsdale? Is (s)he on trial for killing the judge or is (s)he a lawyer defending someone else? etc etc

Without background information, how can we possibly answer your question?;)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Loob that more context would be helpful.

My understanding is that "getting hammered" here means "being criticized". You can check the WR dictionary, for "hammer", Antlers.

Antlers

Swedish
    Antlers, there must be more details!

Who's speaking? Who is Judge Dinsdale? Has the speaker killed Judge Dinsdale? Is (s)he on trial for killing the judge or is (s)he a lawyer defending someone else? etc etc
    Don't know who Dinsdale is, but after watching a little more it turns out the speaker did kill judge Dinsdale, and yes, he is on trial for it. I've concluded that it must mean being grilled or something to that effect, not necessarily convicted. Doesn't seem like anyone has a better idea.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To get/be hammered: figurative, (as if beaten by/with a hammer) = to suffer severe consequences; to be defeated soundly (also, BE, (informal) to be[come] very drunk.)

"When England play football against Sweden, Sweden always get hammered. Then the English fans go to a pub and get hammered."

Loob

English UK
    Don't know who Dinsdale is, but after watching a little more it turns out the speaker did kill judge Dinsdale, and yes, he is on trial for it. I've concluded that it must mean being grilled or something to that effect, not necessarily convicted. Doesn't seem like anyone has a better idea.
    "Grilled" seems unlikely, Antlers - that just means, in the context of a trial, "undergo exhaustive questioning".

I expect Paul's right with his "suffer severe consequences".

Antlers

Swedish
    "Grilled" seems unlikely, Antlers - that just means, in the context of a trial, "undergo exhaustive questioning".

I expect Paul's right with his "suffer severe consequences".
    Yes, I agree, "grilled" is probably a little lenient for murder one. Thanks guys.

< Previous | Next >