Can I use conviction?

< Previous | Next >

edward_mao

China-Chinese
There is a widespread ___ that this ominous fact is due to inherent biological defects in the crowded life of cities.
a)certificate b)conviction c)testimony d) persuasion

The answer's c)

but can I use b) conviction to fill in the blanket? Will that make sense?
thanks

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    edward_mao said:
    There is a widespread ___ that this ominous fact is due to inherent biological defects in the crowded life of cities.
    a)certificate b)conviction c)testimony d) persuasion

The answer's c)

but can I use b) conviction to fill in the blanket? (Blank)...Will that make sense?
    thanks
    Hey edward_mao;
    Yes you could if you wanted to...conviction is also another word for 'strong belief' or 'opinion'...but I must say that most people would read it as the 'conviction' of Law...the judgement of finding someone guilty of a crime..
    p.s...no et on the end of blank...

te gato;)

Axl

England, English
    Edward, conviction in your contexts is perfectly correct, but sounds very formal.

While it sounds ok in the second example, in the first example, I would use belief.

edward_mao

China-Chinese
    I see...But I find it really hard to use English properly. Maybe learning any language is of the same. I mean there are so many words indicate the same meaning, but it's just so hard to choose the right one.
    By the way, thanks a lot, te gato, for correcting my misspelling!

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    edward_mao said:
    I see...But I find it really hard to use English properly. Maybe learning any language is of the same. I mean there are so many words indicate the same meaning, but it's just so hard to choose the right one.
    By the way, thanks a lot, te gato, for correcting my misspelling!
    Hey edward_mao;
    as long as you correct mine also..
    I'm well known for having my own language..and spelling..:D

te gato;)

Axl

England, English
    edward_mao said:
    Hey, don't worry about it. We all have that problem with any foreign language.
    Many words in English are quite ambiguous, so you can always be quite confident in making yourself understood. But in terms of speaking like a native, I can imagine it must be pretty difficult and annoying.

< Previous | Next >