can I use 'Thankful' like this?

andri

cantonese
'But dollar doesn't collapse thankful for the huge demand of US assets pushing dollar upward.'

Is it ok to use 'Thankful' like this?
Thanks.:)

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Hi, andri. Thankful doesn't make sense in the way you've used it. Can you explain in other words what you wish to convey?

Also, you need the article the before dollar: The dollar doesn't collapse...

Elizabeth

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    But the dollar doesn't collapse, thankful for the huge demand ... that pushes ....

or ... collapse, thankful to the huge demand .... for pushing

or .... collapse, thankful that the huge demand.... pushes ....

In all those cases you "personify" the dollar so I guess it's ok

(I am just referring to the use of thankful by the way since I am useless when it comes to expressing financial concepts in any language)

andri

cantonese
    I want to say 'the dollar doesn't collapse because of the huge demand of US assets pushing dollar upward.'
    Thank you.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    andri said:
    I want to say 'the dollar doesn't collapse because of the huge demand for US assets pushing the dollar upward.'
    Thank you.
    You're almost there (see edits above)! The word thankful isn't necessary or natural in this context. I think saying it more directly, as you did in your explanation, is a better alternative.

Note: I changed demand of to demand for because I assume you mean that the appeal of US assets is pushing the dollar upward. Is that correct?

Elizabeth

andri

cantonese
    virtdave said:
    closer to the original would be:

'But the dollar doesn't collapse thanks to the huge demand for US assets pushing the dollar upward.'
    that's brilliant. So I can use 'thanks' in the sentence.:)

rominetimma

English, USA
    You can use "But the dollar doesn't collapse thankfully to the huge demand of US assets pushing dollar upward.", yes?

Kelly B

USA English
    rominetimma said:
    You can use "But the dollar doesn't collapse thankfully to the huge demand of US assets pushing dollar upward.", yes?
    No. You could say
    But the dollar doesn't collapse, thankfully, due to the huge demand of US assets pushing dollar upward
    but this does not mean quite the same thing. Thanks to implies a cause/effect relationship; thankfully sounds like an expression of relief from the author, and due to is required to express that cause/effect relationship.

< Previous | Next >