Can I write "there are not the conditions ...

< Previous | Next >

Greeneye

Swedish
Hello,

I just put together the following sentence but it does not sound correct, perhaps I've made a direct (incorrectly) translation from italian to english? would be so happy for suggestions.

It’s regrettable that there are not the conditions to start a cooperation for the foreign market.

Cheers!

• Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    It is difficult to advise precisely without more context.

However, if writing such a sentence I would probably say "the conditions are not right" rather than "there are not the conditions".

Also, there should be no "a" before cooperation.

I don't understand the end of the sentence, so cannot suggest a full alternative, but my beginning would be :

"It's regrettable that the conditions are not right for ..."

Greeneye

Swedish
    Here comes more context: company A has refused a business proposal from company B telling that there are not the premises /elements to start a cooperation. Now company B would like to reply saying that it's a pitty ... "that there are not the conditions" ... or perhaps it's better to say "that it is regrettable that company A has not found the premises/elements to accept the collaboration".
    Another way to say "found"?

Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    Thanks for the additional detail. That changes the picture slightly.

In this context, the word "conditions" would normally refer to the economic, political, market, trading situation. As in "The government has imposed high tax levies on the products. Under these conditions, I cannot agree to your proposal."

A failure to locate / identify / acquire premises is more tangible. The only doubt may be how hard Company A tried to find them.

If Company B wishes to be kind to Company A in their response, they could say "It is regrettable that you have been unable to locate the premises necessary to enable you to accept the proposal." or "... for the collaboration / joint venture to proceed."

Greeneye

Swedish
    Thank you very much indeed Gordonedi! Your sentence is perfect!!!
    If I would like to use the alternative "for the collaboration" at the end, should I write:

"It is regrettable that you have been unable to locate the premises necessary for the collaboration"

Right?

Loob

English UK
    A question, Greeneye. Are you using 'premises' here in the sense of "land and buildings"? I think that's how Gordonedi has interpreted it.

If not, then I think you want something more like "it is regrettable that we have been unable to find a basis for co-operation/collaboration in overseas markets".

Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    A question, Greeneye. Are you using 'premises' here in the sense of "land and buildings"? I think that's how Gordonedi has interpreted it.

If not, then I think you want something more like "it is regrettable that we have been unable to find a basis for co-operation/collaboration in overseas markets".

Good point, Loob !
    I may have totally misled Greeneye.
    That's why this forum is such a great place to ask questions !

< Previous | Next >