Can "in" replace "engage in"

< Previous | Next >

kaven-ever

Chinese
1:Context:He is a technician engaging in IT.
If I replace the "engage in" with just a "in",does it work?
2:I know the use of "busy in",like I'm busy in working.
So I wonder if I can say:I'm lazy(impatient,happy,tired,etc) in working.To express a emotion in doing something.
Thanks in advance.:)

• owlman5

English-US
    1:Context:He is a technician engaging in IT.
    If I replace the "engage in" with just a "in",does it work?
    Yes. He is in IT = He works in IT
    2:I know the use of "busy in",like I'm busy in working.
    "In working" sounds wrong here. This version without "in" sounds natural: I'm busy working.
    So I wonder if I can say:I'm lazy(impatient,happy,tired,etc) in working.To express a emotion in doing something.
    No. That sentence sounds unnatural. You can say "I'm lazy at work" or "I'm impatient at work." You can also say "I'm lazy/impatient when I work".

kaven-ever

Chinese
    Yeah,with "busy in",I often omit "in" when use it.But If I analysis its component grammatically,I may add "in",because without it I can't figure out why "adj + doing sth" is right.

owlman5

English-US
    When I can't understand certain phrases in other languages, I just memorize them. I think you should memorize the construction "busy + present participle": I'm busy working. She's busy talking. They are busy complaining ...

sdgraham

USA English
    Yeah,with "busy in",I often omit "in" when use it.But If I analysis its component grammatically,I may add "in",because without it I can't figure out why "adj + doing sth" is right.
    Do not say "busy in"+ a gerund.

If you're busy working, "busy" modifies "you," not "working."

You can just as easily say "I am working," which is the present progressive.

Finally, there's no such English word or standard abbreviation as "sth."

It is one of a number of nonstandard abbreviations used in dictionaries, and only in dictionaries, as a space-saving device.

Native speakers do not write it, certainly cannot pronounce it, and when it appears, it is always at the hand of learners who have been misled by the appearance in dictionaries or by clueless non-native teachers.

< Previous | Next >