Can "parameters" be used?

oprah

Banned
English/US
Can "parameters" be used in place of "item" in the following passage or is there a better word choice?

The demand for smaller, sleeker portable communications devices is pushing the wireless industry to reduce rechargeable battery size. Essential items that a designer have to consider included voltage, energy density, temperature performance, and cycle life.

• englishman

English England
    oprah said:
    Can "parameters" be used in place of "item" in the following passage or is there a better word choice?

The demand for smaller, sleeker portable communications devices is pushing the wireless industry to reduce rechargeable battery size. Essential items that a designer have to consider included voltage, energy density, temperature performance, and cycle life.

I would say that "parameters" would actually be a much better word to use here. "items" refers to physical objects, whereas "parameters" implies less tangible qualities. And it would generally be used in a technical context, such as this.

french4beth

US-English
    oprah said:

The demand for smaller, sleeker portable communications devices is pushing the wireless industry to reduce rechargeable battery size. Essential items that a designer has to consider included voltage, energy density, temperature performance, and cycle life.
    Hi oprah,

I think that you could use 'parameter' :thumbsup: - here are some definitions from thefreedictionary.com:
    2.a. one of a set of measurable factors...
    2.b. factor that restricts what is possible or what results...
    2.c. factor that determines a range of variations; a boundary

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Oprah,

Essential items/parameters/factors/attributes/elements that a designer have has to consider included voltage, energy density, temperature performance, and cycle life.

fyi

PS- why "included" rather than "include"?

oprah

Banned
    English/US
    Thank you both for your quick replies. I think I will go ahead and change it to parameters.