Can people opposite in personality be good friends?

< Previous | Next >

david_dv

Spanish
What does "Can people opposite in personality be good friends?" mean? I have found it in an exam, but I have no idea what it exactly means.
Thank you!

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    "Can people opposite in personality be good friends?" mean? I have found it in an exam, but I have no idea what it means

Hello David :)
    Can you tell us which part you do not understand? 'Opposite personalities' means very different sorts of people. 'Good friends' means the two people have a very friendly relationship.

Hermione

ribran

English - American
    Can (two) people of different characters/of different temperaments/with different personalities be good friends?

(Look to see if there are any threads on the saying "Opposites attract.")

JamesM

so,in your opinion,two people with different character/temper can be good friends?
    It's not just different but opposite. Let's say one friend is extremely prim and proper and the other friend swears constantly and is constantly violating social norms, or one friend is very shy and the other is very outgoing and gregarious. As others have said, "opposites attract" is a common saying in English. It's more than just "different".

We can't answer the question for you. We can only help you to understand the meaning of the question. I'm afraid it's up to you to express your opinion about whether it's possible or not.

MikeLynn

Opposites attract is common even in Czech and I believe that it might have been originally borrowed from Latin? and translated into a number of languages although there's no proof of that, at least I couldn't find it on the Net. :(

ribran

English - American
    It's not just different but opposite. Let's say one friend is extremely prim and proper and the other friend swears constantly and is constantly violating social norms, or one friend is very shy and the other is very outgoing and gregarious. As others have said, "opposites attract" is a common saying in English. It's more than just "different".

We can't answer the question for you. We can only help you to understand the meaning of the question. I'm afraid it's up to you to express your opinion about whether it's possible or not.
    :eek: Of course. I was responding to mr_luka because somehow I thought that he was the one asking the question.

So yes, maybe

Do opposites (really) attract?

By the way, I hope you're having a nice Thanksgiving, James. :)

< Previous | Next >