Can 'pragmatic' be used as a noun?

Garbuz

Russian
Can 'pragmatic' be substantivized, like 'romantic', for example?

e.g. She is a romantic, and he is a pragmatic?

Is 'a' with 'pragmatic' grammatical?

Thanks in advance.

• AdamParkar

India Hindi , Marathi
    Yes you can use a pragmatic , as 'a','an' always indicate indefinate situation of the character or if we are using in case of first time.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would expect pragmatist for the noun form.

I reserve pragmatic for use as an adjective. It sounds very odd to me when used as a noun.

Added: I see, however, that the OED lists it as a noun, with the most recent citation from India and possibly the source of your query.
    1914 Indianapolis Star 6 Jan. 8/2 Whatever the findings of investigators are on the degree of legal responsibility for the building collapse at South Bend, the case appears as a sufficient answer to those pragmatics who see no utility in rigid building laws. 1999 Times of India (Nexis) 12 Dec., Not a romantic who built castles in the air, but a pragmatic who, by sheer dint of hard work and forecast, built bridges where they were needed, without upsetting eco-harmony.
    I'll check around for other such recent usages and report back if I find any.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No, pragmatic is never used as a noun.

Pragmatist is the appropriate noun.
    I don't see how you can say that 'pragmatic' is never used as a noun, when it clearly has been.

The most either of us can say is that 'pragmatic' is not now used as a noun in our varieties of English.

< Previous | Next >