can present progressive without temporal marker be used

lycen

English and Chinese
We can use these to refer to the future:
Where are you going later/then?
Where will you be going?
What are you doing later?

But is it actually correct to use present progressive without a temporal marker to refer to the future? Assuming someone says that he/she will be going somewhere/ doing something later.
Where are you going?
What are doing?

I personally doubt so but I want a confirmation.
Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Natalisha

Russian
    Without a context or a particular situation it's not clear whether you refer them to the present or to the future.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Do you mean, would it be acceptable to respond with a question in the present progressive? It is much easier to answer questions about specific situations than about general formulas, so I'll adapt your sentence:
    Someone says that she will be doing something later.
    Yes, in this case, it would be acceptable to respond:
    What are you doing?
    The word later in the sentence you are responding to carries over to the interpretation of this one as well. In fact, omissions of this sort are common in the spoken language.

lycen

English and Chinese
    Do you mean, would it be acceptable to respond with a question in the present progressive? It is much easier to answer questions about specific situations than about general formulas, so I'll adapt your sentence:
    Someone says that she will be doing something later.
    Yes, in this case, it would be acceptable to respond:
    What are you doing?
    The word later in the sentence you are responding to carries over to the interpretation of this one as well. In fact, omissions of this sort are common in the spoken language.

What about in formal/written English? Is it acceptable?