Can rental deposit be <offset> against the rental?

< Previous | Next >

claudia's houses

Chinese
Hi. I got a little confused about the usage of offset.

Sentences like "My tenant wants to offset her last month's rental using the deposit" and "how to offset rent against deposit" are not confusing at all, because as I see it, we can say "use A to offset B" and "offset B against A", both of which mean that B is offset by A. Please correct me if I am wrong.

but I also found this sentence from the internet "Can rental deposit be offset against the last month's rental?". The sentence is passive voice, and if it is changed to active voice, it would be "offset deposit against rental", which seems to be opposite to the sentences I listed above.

Thanks for any reply~

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with you, Claudia. People often get confused by constructions like these. You offset the rental, not the deposit.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    No, I think the sentence is fine: you offset the deposit (which is a liability for the lessor) against the last month's rent (which is a liability for the lessee). I don't see the problem.

claudia's houses

Chinese
    No, I think the sentence is fine: you offset the deposit (which is a liability for the lessor) against the last month's rent (which is a liability for the lessee). I don't see the problem.
    Hi, Glenfarclas. Do you mean that all of the three sentences I listed are correct? i.e. one can offset deposit against rent (the third sentence), and also offset rent against / using deposit (the first and second one)? Both mean the same?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    The sentence with "using" definitely sounds wrong to me. I was referring to the sentence that was in blue in your original post.

< Previous | Next >