Can "rest room" have another meaning than "toilets"?

< Previous | Next >

elly52002

French
Hello,

Can "rest room" have another meaning than "toilets"? For example, in a day-care center, can a room where the children have a rest be called "rest room"?

Thank you.

• Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    Yes. The use of "rest room" to mean toilets is largely an AE thing.
    At my office in the UK, the staff restaurant has both tables and easy chairs, and is known as the "rest room".

JamesM

Actually, I believe it's always "restroom" or "restrooms" here (one word, not two) for the room with the toilets. I think we would call what Gordonedi described the break room or the cafeteria. If it has a buffet or hot food being served, I think it would more likely be called the cafeteria. If it simply has vending machines, tables and chairs, it would be the staff lounge or the break room, but not "rest room."

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    restroom is in a public building only in the US
    washroom in Canada
    bathroom in the home
    comfort station in a park (this might be regional or old-fashioned)

a room for resting/relaxing might be a quiet room in a daycare center or break room in an office/factory

toilet is only used in AE to describe the plumbing fixture inside the bathroom, so to say I'm going to the toilet is very graphic in AE!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Can we stick to the meaning of rest room, restroom - the topic of this thread?

We had a room that was set aside for staff who were feeling unwell. That was the restroom.

Restroom here does not have any sense of the meaning it has in AE.

JamesM

Can we stick to the meaning of rest room, restroom - the topic of this thread?

We had a room that was set aside for staff who were feeling unwell. That was the restroom.

Restroom here does not have any sense of the meaning it has in AE.
    Sorry, Panj. I didn't mean to get off-topic. To me the conversation regarding "nap room", etc., are related because the original question included:

For example, in a day-care center, can a room where the children have a rest be called "rest room"?

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    To me (from US) rest room as a room to rest in a daycare makes no sense. According to a few users from UK it is used. I would think nap/sleep room in a day care. In a job, normally break room. In an office (doctor/dentist/hospital...where you're waiting to be seen by the doctor) it's called waiting/wait room.

As for a place to releave yourself (urinating/deficating) they are called so many things: bathroom, loo, restroom (one word), comfort room, WC, toliets, washroom. It depends where you're from. Regarding toliets...I've seen that in Europe before...and I don't think it's rude at all.

Pablo

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The thread topic needs to be re-emphasised.
    This thread is not about alternative names for the place that AE refers to as a rest room. There are other threads where that topic has been discussed.
    It is about possible alternative uses of the term rest room. For your convenience, here is post #1.
    Hello,

Can "rest room" have another meaning than "toilets"? For example, in a day-care center, can a room where the children have a rest be called "rest room"?

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >