can see how much?

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

<Despite all the human suffering he's witnessed, he carries with him
an optimism. He would say that is because even in the most difficult situations
those in his(=scientist who works for African people) vocation can see
how much we(=people who run foundations, doctors and scientists) can do to make things better.>

Could you check if I understand right?

When I ask how he can keep optimism although he was all the
human suffering(by working for African people), he says that is
because even in the most tough situations people who he's met
through his work can have expectations we can do a lot of work
to make things better.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    When I ask how he can keep optimism although he was all the human suffering(by working for African people), he says that is because even in the most tough situations people who he's met through his work can have expectations we can do a lot of work to make things better.
    I think it means the people he works with (not just meets) can see (I didn't like that phrase about expectations - you can't see what isn't there) how much we can do to improve things.

Working in Africa may at times be discouraging and having that optimism must be a great bonus for the people working around him.

I didn't think your paraphrases always made things clearer, Ddubug. I hope you'll forgive me for saying so.

greg from vancouver

Canada, Vancouver
    I remember this question from a few days ago. Here is what I would do to make it sound fine:

Despite all the human suffering he's witnessed, he carries with him an optimism. He would say that this is because, even in the most difficult situations, those in his vocation can see how much people can do to make things better.

Note the following:
    1) I added the word "this" to make "this is because"
    2) I added 2 commas
    3) "Those in his vocation" refers to fellow aid workers, as you suggest
    4) I changed "we" to "people", and this refers to people in general, not any specific group. If you are indeed referring only to people in his vocation, then change it to "they".

I still don't like the phrase "those in his vocation". There's nothing wrong with saying, "He would say that this is because, even in the most difficult situations, he can see how much people can do to make things better."

Hope that helps!
    Greg

< Previous | Next >