Can we change the word 'linoleum'?

• MateuszMoś

Hello,

To all intents and purposes, this word can be normally changeable and it does appear in all cases.
    Sometimes, however, it is senseless to inflect such words because they generate confusion.

wolfbm1

Polish
    In the singular the noun linoleum is remaining as it is in all cases.
    In the plural it takes the suffixes -a, -ów, -om, -a, -ami, and -ach.
    (Compare an article about the word exemplum in pwn.pl/poradnia and an article about the noun akwarium in WIKISŁOWNIK.)

It is difficult for me to find a context, in which I would use a plural form of linoleum as it is a type of floor covering, a material.

Last edited:

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Hello,

To all intents and purposes, this word can be normally changeable and it does appear in all cases.
    Sometimes, however, it is senseless to inflect such words because they generate confusion.
    I have never heard anybody say "linoleumu or linoleumem", not seen it in print either. It must a very special group of people speaking substandard Polish that use such forms.
    By the way, "odmiana rzeczowników" translates to English as "inflection of substantives", not "change".

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    It is difficult for me to find a context, in which I would use a plural form of linoleum as it is a type of floor covering, a material.
    It's worth adding that in everyday Polish the plural would indeed be quite rare; however, in the techninal lingo of lino manufacturers it might be the opposite.

< Previous | Next >