Can we "park" a bike?

Marge

Spain - Spanish
Hi everybody,
Could anybody tell me what we say in English when we want to "park" a bicycle?
Thanks,
Marge :)

• Parreño

USA, English and Spanish
    yeah, you could say "park"....although for me "put" would sound more natural.

Okay, I just called about three friends and they all agreed....we would definitely "where did you put your bike?".

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Parreño said:
    yeah, you could say "park"....although for me "put" would sound more natural.

Okay, I just called about three friends and they all agreed....we would definitely "where did you put your bike?".

It may be a generational thing, but put and park are two different things to me. I will put my bike on the back of the car to transport it. Or I will put my bike in storage for the winter (it could be lying on its side or in any position), but when I am riding my bike and I stop, put the foot stand down and leave it (in an upright position), then I have parked my bike. I checked with my coworkers also and they thought put sounded strange in the context of parking the bike.

Philippa

Britain - English
    I often say 'tie up' for my bike (referring to locking it I suppose!), and I always feel a bit silly like it's a horse or something! :D

I'm pretty sure this is a Philippa-ism and not very standard!!
    I think other people would say 'lock up' rather than park about a bike.

Saludos
    Philippa :)

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino
    yuriandre said:
    I would like to park my bike chenalyn chuvalush everbilena! :)
    Please refrain from using those slang words that doesn't mean anything because this is an educational forum and we should help each other to learn and understand our different languages rather than posting useless words. :)

JAG

English (US)
    Tom: Where did you put your bike?

Jerry: I parked it in front of the store.

Tom: Did you lock it up?

Jerry: Of course I did! I wouldn't leave my bike outside anywhere without locking it up.

gengo

American English
    Can you dock a bike?

Not unless the bike works on water or in outer space. :)

Personally, I usually say "I locked up my bike...," although "park" sounds perfectly natural to me, and of course I would only use "lock" if I actually used the lock. If the bike were in a safe location that needed no lock, one of the other verbs mentioned above would be better.

Ex.
    I left my bike in your backyard.
    I parked my bike in the basement garage. Is it safe to leave it unlocked?
    I put my bike in the shed, because it's going to rain.

tonguingaround

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    I was referring to this

Return
    End a ride by returning your bike to any station. Slide your bike firmly into an empty dock and wait for the green light to make sure it's locked.

This is from a website in Canada: bikesharetoronto, so I figured you could say "dock your bike" instead of "slide it into the dock" ???

Thanks

Masood

British English
    I was referring to this

Return
    End a ride by returning your bike to any station. Slide your bike firmly into an empty dock and wait for the green light to make sure it's locked.

This is from a website in Canada: bikesharetoronto, so I figured you could say "dock your bike" instead of "slide it into the dock" ???

Thanks
    when referring to shared used public hire bikes, yes, you can say "dock". You dock the bike in its holder when you have finished using it.

kifbender

English, USA
    I would agree that you can "dock" a bike when you are using the public bikeshare programs. But I am a native American English speaker and I would never say "park" my bike - I would say "put" my bike -somewhere- or "lock up" my bike, but I would reserve "park" for vehicles like cars.

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    I would agree that you can "dock" a bike when you are using the public bikeshare programs. But I am a native American English speaker and I would never say "park" my bike - I would say "put" my bike -somewhere- or "lock up" my bike, but I would reserve "park" for vehicles like cars.

I wonder whether it's a regional or an age difference?