Can we say: NGOs receive projects/programs?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

Can we say: NGOs receive projects/programs?
For example, World Health Organization allow 2 NGOs to do a few projects/programs with it.
And I want to say that:
2 NGOs, NGO A and NGO B now receive Health Projects or Programs from WHO.
Is the verb receive correct combinnation to use with noun Projects or Programs ?

Thanks.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No. Depending on what "do a few projects with it" means (it's not clear to me), we might say that A and B are working with the World Health Organization on these projects, or perhaps that WHO is funding these projects, or that it has endorsed them or has assigned the projects to these NGOs.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Yes.. I mean WHO has assigned the projects to these NGOs Thank you Parla. So we don't say: These NGOs receive project from WHO in English ? but my language say like that : These NGOs receive project from WHO

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I mean WHO has assigned the projects to these NGOs. Thank you Parla. So we don't say: These NGOs receive project from WHO in English? But my language says it like that : These NGOs receive project from WHO.
    No, we do not say that in English. We say: WHO has assigned the projects to these NGOs. Or: These NGOs have been assigned the projects by WHO. Or: The projects have been assigned to these NGOs by WHO. All are correct.

As you see, there are three ways to say the same thing, depending on whether you want to mention WHO, or the NGOs, or the projects first.

< Previous | Next >