Can we say "teachers teach us knowledge?"

< Previous | Next >

tina fang

chinese
If we cannot say "we learn or study knowledge", then we cannot say teachers teach us knowledge, right?

Many Chinese students tend to use such collocations as "learn or study knowledge" and "teach us knowledge". How to correct them?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    If we cannot say "we learn or study knowledge", then we cannot say teachers teach us knowledge, right?

Many Chinese students tend to use such collocations as "learn or study knowledge" and "teach us knowledge". How to correct them?
    Certainly we can acquire knowledge, and teachers help us do this. I don't think we talk of teaching knowledge.

Teachers impart knowledge or information; teachers teach their subjects by giving lessons, though teaching lessons is not out of the question.

Man_from_India

India
    But "give us lesson" is quiet common here, and even I read it.
    Anything wrong with this expression?

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    It is important to understand that "teaching" and "learning" are not always related terms.

At best, a teacher broadcasts information in a way that students can assimilate it. But there is no guarantee that the "broadcast" is done appropriately for the students or that the students are capable or willing to receive the information.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    It is important to understand that "teaching" and "learning" are not always related terms.

At best, a teacher broadcasts information in a way that students can assimilate it. But there is no guarantee that the "broadcast" is done appropriately for the students or that the students are capable or willing to receive the information.
    What do you mean? Do you support 'pass knowledge on to sb' or 'pass on knowledge to sb'?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I checked the dictionary and many articles and found it should be 'Teachers pass on their knowledge to us'
    Are you suggesting that you think I was wrong, Kacy?

Both my form and that suggested by the dictionary are entirely standard and idiomatic.

We can place the on either after the verb or before the to us.

< Previous | Next >