Can you cook chicken and meat? and more

zspider

English/United States
I am a Spanish beginner. Would you be so kind as to look at my Spanish translation of the following sentences and tell me if they are OK? Right now I am operating solely in the present tense so, if possible, I would prefer corrections to remain in that realm, also.

Can you cook chicken and meat?
Puede usted cocinar pollo y carne?

Does your daughter know how to read?
Sabe su hija como leer?

When do you take a trip to Mexico?
Cuando vas hacer un viaje a Mexico?

Is it important to ask questions when you don't know?
Es importante preguntar cuando no sabes?
or maybe this one should be:
Es importante hacer preguntas cuando no sabes?

Thank you, Michael

• Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    zspider said:
    I am a Spanish beginner. Would you be so kind as to look at my Spanish translation of the following sentences and tell me if they are OK? Right now I am operating solely in the present tense so, if possible, I would prefer corrections to remain in that realm, also.

¿Puede usted cocinar pollo y carne? - You can also say "¿Puedes cocinar pollo y carne?" but your translation is ok.

¿Sabe su hija cómo leer? - You can say - ¿Sabe cómo leer su hija?

¿Cuándo vas hacer un viaje a Mexico? :tick:

¿Es importante preguntar cuando no sabes? :tick:
    ¿Es importante hacer preguntas cuando no sabes? :tick:

Thank you, Michael
    Hope it helps!

Mei

marinax

español (Argentina)
    there is no need to add USTED, unless you are asking to someone older or to show respect towards the person. so, you can also say PUEDES COCINAR POLLO Y CARNE?

Sabe su hija como leer?
    you don't have to say COMO. is not wrong, but there is no need.

Cuándo vas a hacer un viaje a Mexico?
    close ! ;)

Both are correct. you can use either.

and: always remember that we use question marks at the beginning and end of a question.
    good luck. you seem good at it!

S.S.

Español
    > There's no need to add the "usted". You can say "¿Puede cocinar pollo y carne?"

Sabe su hija como leer?
    > It's ok but IMO it sounds a bit "forced". You can delete the "cómo" and say: "¿Sabe su hija leer?", "¿Su hija sabe leer?" or "¿Sabe leer su hija?"

> Perfecto ;) Though you forgot the accent and the question mark: ¿Cuándo...?

> Both correct

You're a Spanish beginner?? Your Spanish is pretty good! :)

marinax

español (Argentina)
    S.S. said:
    > Perfecto ;) Though you forgot the accent and the question mark: ¿Cuándo...? :)
    OJO... he forgot tu put "a" in that sentence... "Cuando vas a hacer un viaje a Mexico?"...

zspider

English/United States
    Thanks to everyone for your comments! I should have known about that "a" before "hacer" because in an earlier thread I asked about when to use the "a" and when not to when an infinitive followed the main verb. The answer was to use the "a" when following verbs of starting or beginning.

And yes, I need to install the Spanish character set on my computer! I notice there is information on how to do this on one of the sticky threads. I have avoided it because I'm almost certain it involves dragging out my system disc and spinning it up, and not only do I not know where it is right now, but I'm also afraid to mess with a fairly stable computer situation right now.

I also appreciate the comments about when my grammar might be right but sounds "weird." My wife and I are mostly interested in learning conversational Mexican Spanish, and I'd like to sound as natural as possible. We've got a tutor who is helping us with this.

Thanks again, Michael

deadimp

English - USA
    Quick question... Instead of saying "When are you going to make a trip to Mexico?" ("¿Cuándo vas tú a hacer un viaje a Mexico?"), can you say "¿Cuándo haces tú un viaje a Mexico?" ("When do you take a trip to Mexico?")?
    Or does that not sound right in Spanish? I'm not entirely sure how strict Spanish is with present / future...

marinax

español (Argentina)
    deadimp said:
    Quick question... Instead of saying "When are you going to make a trip to Mexico?" ("¿Cuándo vas tú a hacer un viaje a Mexico?"), can you say "¿Cuándo haces tú un viaje a Mexico?" ("When do you take a trip to Mexico?")?
    Or does that not sound right in Spanish? I'm not entirely sure how strict Spanish is with present / future...
    mmm... it doesnt sound quite right... but if you are having a conversation about this trip, and you make that question on that same conversation... is as you are still speaking of a present subject.
    - i usually travel to latinamerica. (suelo viajar por latinoamerica)
    - when do you take a trip to Mexico? i might need you to buy something for me... (¿Cuándo haces tú un viaje a Mexico? quizas necesite que me compres algo...)

but is not so common.

< Previous | Next >