Can you finish your report ready for Friday morning?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi,

My fellow worker wrote to me: Can you finish your report ready for Friday morning?

I understand her question meaning but I'm curious about the part of speech of the ready here and almost strange to see it stands like that without any verb like be or feel that usually go with such word ready.. for example.. I am ready.. or I feel ready to fight.. etc.

Could somebody explain in detail?

Thanks.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    That is indeed a strange way to express it!

The following would work:
    Can you finish your report by Friday morning?
    Can you have your report ready for Friday morning's meeting?​

owlman5

English-US
    It looks strange to me too, Camlearner. :) I would expect to hear: Can you finish your report and have it ready for Friday morning?

Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi All,

So it's clear that that fellow worker of mine is a little poor in English writing..

Thank you.

How about the part of speech of it? I guess it can be adverb.. or..?

Can you have your report ready for Friday morning's meeting? or Can you finish your report and have it ready for Friday morning?

owlman5

English-US
    "Ready" is functioning as an adjective that modifies "report".

Here's a definition from M-W: b : equipped or supplied with what is needed for some action or event <are ready for the trip> c : fitted, arranged, or placed for immediate use <a room is now ready for you> <dinner is ready>

Camlearner

Khmer
    It not modifies the verb "have" because it comes with "have... ready" ? So if I write like this do you undestand the meanign of it: Can you have your ready report for Friday morning's meeting?

owlman5

English-US
    Some adjectives are often placed after the nouns they modify. To place "ready" before the word "report" is unusual. To ask "Is the report ready?" is ordinary. You can think of "ready" here as a synonym for the past participles "prepared" or "finished".

< Previous | Next >