Can you idle up a little more for me?

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
Hi Wordreference!

I am currently translating a show called "Gold Divers", which airs in Discovery if I'm not wrong.

It describes the gold mining business in Nome, Alaska, which is carried out in extreme conditions. The show is exaggerated much like any Discovery show you can think of, so it's not 100% technical or anything.

So, I have found difficulty translating the following. A young diver is using a dredge underwater, while a veteran captain is in charge of the boat and the diver's safety.
In this context, the young diver says:
"- Hey Steve you want to idle up a little bit more for me?"

Right after saying this, the captain (Steve) gets up and finishes some task, so it does seem to be an ironic remark, as in "don't be lazy, do your job".

In this context, I'm then guessing that "idle up" means "behave in a lazy manner", but I'm not sure about the particle "up". Does it add a layer of meaning?

Thanks for the help as always! : )
Regards,
Cretschen

• Biffo

English - England
    I think the diver is asking the captain to adjust the idling speed of the engine. Presumably that's why the captain gets up.

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    I think the diver is asking the captain to adjust the idling speed of the engine. Presumably that's why the captain gets up.
    I was wrong then. Thank you for your help, Biffo!

The dredge speed is actually increased right after saying that, so your interpretation makes a lot of sense : )

Cretschen

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >