Cancel and Preview

Elise Sider

Russian
Hello!

I am not sure how to translate "Cancel" and "Preview" window into Portuguese.
A have two variants for each:

- "Visão antecipada", "Pré-visualização" for "Preview"
- "Anular", "Cancelar" for " Cancel".

Could anybody tell me which of them is commonly used in programs when selected language is Portuguese?

Thank you!

• patriota

pt-BR
    If you want to offer users the experience they expect to have when they install your software, you need to create separate translations for pt-BR (Brazil) and pt-PT (Portugal and its other former colonies). If you don't have the resources for that, focus on either standard and make it explicit that you are going to support only one of them.

The specific words you asked about can be the same in both varieties: pré-visualização and cancelar (as in "cancelar impressão" - anular is also used in more specific contexts), but some of the most basic GUI terms like "file" and "save" are different in each locate.

I suggest you to use the Microsoft Language Portal. It has plenty of style guides and terminology collections you can download.

Elise Sider

Russian
    If you want to offer users the experience they expect to have when they install your software, you need to create separate translations for pt-BR (Brazil) and pt-PT (Portugal and its other former colonies). If you don't have the resources for that, focus on either standard and make it explicit that you are going to support only one of them.

The specific words you asked about can be the same in both varieties: pré-visualização and cancelar (as in "cancelar impressão" - anular is also used in more specific contexts), but some of the most basic GUI terms like "file" and "save" are different in each locate.

I suggest you to use the Microsoft Language Portal. It has plenty of style guides and terminology collections you can download.
    Sorry I forgot to indicate that I need Brazilian variant.
    Thank you for the answer and the link, I believe it will be helpful.

< Previous | Next >