cancel gym class

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

If your elementary school teacher discontinued gym class in the middle of the assigned time, because many of the students had suffered heatstroke under the strong sunshine, can you say that he/she cancelled your gym class?
Is "cancel class" unclear since it could be taken to mean that he/she didn't start the gym class at all?

I would appreciate any comments.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    One other thing, though: Discontinue is not the same as cancel. You could cancel the rest of the current class, or you can cancel a whole class in advance, or perhaps several classes, but this would only affect just those individual classes. For example, if there is a gym class every day, and if you cancel today's and tomorrow's, then classes would resume as normal the day after tomorrow.

But if you discontinue a class, this means the class will cease completely, not just once or a few times, but forever, at least until new plans are made.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In my opinion, to cancel a class session is to call it off ahead of time, to say that the entire session will not take place as scheduled; you can't "cancel" a class midway. If the class was in session and the teacher stopped it because of extreme heat, that session was stopped or ended early or halted or aborted .

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Dear all,

If your elementary school teacher discontinued gym class in the middle of the assigned time, because many of the students had suffered heatstroke under the strong sunshine, can you say that he/she cancelled your gym class?
    Is "cancel class" unclear since it could be taken to mean that he/she didn't start the gym class at all?

I would appreciate any comments.
    When it's midstream, as described from wanabee, I have no problem with saying/hearing: Gym class is canceled. / Gym class is now cancelled. / Gym class has been cancelled.

I can't consider it wrong.

The teacher (he or she) had to make a judgment call due to the conditions and cancelled the class.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In my opinion, to cancel a class session is to call it off ahead of time, to say that the entire session will not take place as scheduled; you can't "cancel" a class midway.
    I didn't mention it before, but I agree with this. To cancel something means to arrange for it not to happen, and therefore once a session has started, you can't cancel it because some of it will already have happened. But of course if you then stop it, what you're doing is arranging for the rest of it not to happen, so perhaps it's OK to say that you've cancelled the rest of the session.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    In my opinion, to cancel a class session is to call it off ahead of time, to say that the entire session will not take place as scheduled; you can't "cancel" a class midway. If the class was in session and the teacher stopped it because of extreme heat, that session was stopped or ended early or halted or aborted .
    Sorry, perpend, but I have to say I definitely agree with Parla here. I'd not use the term cancel once the event is underway.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm sorry, wanabee, since I'm in the minority (I'm a poet and didn't know it :).) My apologies shall this have been misleading.

I still cannot find any logical reason whey you can't cancel something in the middle of it.

My last-ditch effort/scenario.

Children are (right now) at swimming lessons, and it begins to thunder and lightning. The life-guard says/announces: Swimming lessons are cancelled.

wanabee

Japanese
    I'm sorry, wanabee, since I'm in the minority (I'm a poet and didn't know it .) My apologies shall this have been misleading.
    I still cannot find any logical reason whey you can't cancel something in the middle of it.
    My last-ditch effort/scenario.
    Children are (right now) at swimming lessons, and it begins to thunder and lightning. The life-guard says/announces: Swimming lessons are cancelled.
    I like to be in the minority in discussions. :) In fact, we have a similar problem with the word "cancel" in Japanese; opinions may be divided at least in everyday speech level. That's why I opened this thread.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm wiping the sweat off my brow! I thought I was completely off-base, since I was the only one to consider this in the bigger picture.

Thanks for being forthright, wanabee!

I know it's between two different languages, but it comes down to the semantics of how to express something in the moment. :)

I feel your pain!

< Previous | Next >