cancel the process <down the line>

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
A: Please apply for the visa as soon as possible. Here’s a copy of my passport. The visa fee will be transferred as soon as my bank approves you as a beneficiary for online transfers.

B: OK. We will initiate the visa application right away. Please ensure that the process is not cancelled from your end.

A: I'm serious. I assure you I won’t cancel the process down the line.

Have I used DOWN THE LINE correctly in this context?

Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    A: Please apply for the visa as soon as possible.

B: Here’s a copy of my passport. The visa fee will be transferred as soon as my bank approves you as a beneficiary for online transfers.

A: OK. We will initiate the visa application right away. Please ensure that the process is not cancelled from your end. I'm serious.

B:I assure you I won’t cancel the process down the line.

Have I used DOWN THE LINE correctly in this context?
    I think you've mixed up the lines between A and B. :)
    As far as I can tell, there's only one step in this process so there's not really a "line" to go "down." Ignoring the literal idea, "down the line" means "in the future." Does approving the transfer and then the transfer taking place take so long that you think of the last opportunity to revoke your approval of the transfer as being "in the future" (several days, a week, or more)?

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    I think you've mixed up the lines between A and B. :)
    As far as I can tell, there's only one step in this process so there's not really a "line" to go "down." Ignoring the literal idea, "down the line" means "in the future." Does approving the transfer and then the transfer taking place take so long that you think of the last opportunity to revoke your approval of the transfer as being "in the future" (several days, a week, or more)?
    Yes, I mixed up the lines. Sorry.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not a matter of right or wrong, but I also think down the line refers to a time farther in the unforeseeable future. You are talking about a specific process with defined steps. I think down the line fits non-specific circumstances better.

He spent many hours and years studying to be a doctor, but down the line, after 15 years in practice, he was starting to think he had made a mistake.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    It's not a matter of right or wrong, but I also think down the line refers to a time farther in the unforeseeable future. You are talking about a specific process with defined steps. I think down the line fits non-specific circumstances better.

He spent many hours and years studying to be a doctor, but down the line, after 15 years in practice, he was starting to think he had made a mistake.
    Thank you

< Previous | Next >