cancellation / cancelled [class]

< Previous | Next >

Plasater

Chinese
How to expression this sentence in the right way.
Can I say " I am sorry to hear the cancellation for the class today. or I am sorry to hear about your cancelled class"
My prefer sentence will be the one using cancellation.
I think both way are correct way to say it but not quite sure.

Thank you,

Perla

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    What are you trying to say? In English it sounds odd to feel "sorry" about a canceled class. Who are you saying this to? Is it the person who was supposed to teach the class, or the person who was supposed to take it? And why are you expressing your condolences?

Plasater

Chinese
    The message is for my teacher. She is very sick so I want to tell her that. I don't know what you meat by odd. I don't think is inappropriate to express my love and feeling to my beloved teacher.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,

Perla

What are you trying to say? In English it sounds odd to feel "sorry" about a canceled class. Who are you saying this to? Is it the person who was supposed to teach the class, or the person who was supposed to take it? And why are you expressing your condolences?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The message is for my teacher. She is very sick so I want to tell her that. I don't know what you meat by odd. I don't think is inappropriate to express my love and feeling to my beloved teacher.
    English speakers would say "I was sorry to hear that you're sick. Get well soon!" etc. etc.

You aren't unhappy about the fact that the class was canceled; you're unhappy about her illness. (At least, that's how I think about it.)

Plasater

Chinese
    Lucas,
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Now, I understand the meaning of the sentence. I will follow your advice.
    By the way, just curiosity. Are these two sentences grammatical correct?

Thank you,
    Perla

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    " I am sorry to hear the cancellation for the class today :cross:
    You can't "hear" a cancellation - a cancellation doesn't make a sound. This sentence is incorrect; it would need to be "I'm sorry to hear about the cancellation of today's class."

That being said, the corrected sentence remains extremely awkward.
    I am sorry to hear about your cancelled class" :tick:
    That works. It's odd, but it works. Again, it's not the cancelled class that you want to express your sympathy for - it's the illness that made the cancellation necessary.

< Previous | Next >