cancellation

< Previous | Next >

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
A's marriage is fixed with B. Later, A's father has found that B is not worthy of marriage with A and so cancelled the marriage which, othewise, would have taken place a few weeks later.

I want an exact native English word for cancellation of such arrangement. Is 'cancellation' apt?

• Harry Batt

USA English
    Correct above by Dmicl and Setwale. It is not a legal thing. However, if there is an engagement ring and the bride breaks the engagement the groom may sue for the return of the ring. My comment is that you ought to distinguish between cancel or calling off and annulling. The cancelation is before a wedding and nothing more than, "I'm calling off the wedding." There used to be a legal action for breach of promise, but I can't think of a state in the USA that stilll allows it. Now, annulling is a different matter. It occurs after the marriage. It is a legal thing where the marriage is, in effect, cancelled after it has taken place. Eg. X comes into the USA illegally. Y agrees to marry X so that he is immune from deportation. They do not consumate the marriage. Government sues to annul the marriage because it was a sham.

< Previous | Next >