Candy cane in British English

< Previous | Next >


Hello. Is "Candy Cane" a typically American expression with an equivalent in British English or is it used indistinctinly in both cases? Thank you
  • JustKate

    Senior Member
    I have heard them called "peppermint sticks," but my impression is that rather than being an AmE-BE difference, "peppermint stick" is just a slightly old-fashioned name for "candy cane." I'm interested to see if that impression is correct. "Peppermint stick" is actually sometimes still used in AmE to differentiate a straight piece of peppermint candy from the ones that have the hook part at the end, but generally any stick candy is called a "candy cane."
    < Previous | Next >