Candy cane lane

< Previous | Next >

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
Hello!

Context from Hulk #07.

Hulk is fighting someone. During this fight he says:

"So, why don'tcha pack yer bags. And go back to N.Y.C or L.A.... or whatever CANDY CANE LANE you call home."

Is CANDY CANE LANE a city in the US or it is been used to describe a any small city?

Thanks in advance!

• vicky1027

usa english
    No, it is not a real city. You really need to provide more context, but it sounds like a sarcastic way of saying "home sweet home" with a reference to drugs being sold on the streets

Copyright

American English
    Quoting from Wikipedia: Candy Cane Lane is a name given to a specific street in Cities around the world which have their houses decorated with Christmas lights every year.

Of course the article capitalizes "Cities," so I don't know how reliable that is -- but I've been on these streets near where I lived in my youth and they are a glorious sight to behold. Middle America at its finest and brightest and most festive -- certainly a more innocent time.

I would suggest that Candy Cane Lane refers to "whatever wholesome, goody-two-shoes, Leave-It-To-Beaver place you come from." I doubt if it has anything to do with drugs in this context.

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
    No, it is not a real city. You really need to provide more context, but it sounds like a sarcastic way of saying "home sweet home" with a reference to drugs being sold on the streets
    They are in Las Vegas. Hulk is fighting another superhero. You know, everyone see Hulk as a bad guy. This superhero is not so powerful as Hulk is. In fact, Hulk is mocking him. There is no drugs in this story.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It is really odd expression. I think maybe the writer was trying to just be random.
    I find this bit of literary analysis to be random. Candy canes are a common symbol of Christmas in the U.S. They have associations not only with that festive period, but with the children who enjoy them. They are also a common theme for decorative lights—see Copyright's notes above. The alliteration of cane and lane gives the name a mocking, sing-song sound.

Those aspects of the name, together with the context that spohreis has provided, lead me to find no cause at all to think that "the writer was trying to just be random". Trying to just be random is not something writers generally strive to accomplish, whether in comic books or other literary genres.

boyblue1

English
    I disagree. Candy Cane Lanes are a well known feature of the American landscape come winter. They are streets where the property owners have decided to put up lights all over their house (to a greater degree than most other streets).

I dont see the connection with LA or NY (though Vegas could be metaphorically called a candy cane lane, but thats the opposite of what the writter seems to hint at).

I don't think it is out of the question that a writer use dialog that is off-beat, perhaps a little nonsensical.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    That you don't see the relationship between the named cities and "...whatever CANDY CANE LANE you call home" is one thing. Accusing the writer of "trying to just be random" is quite another.

We don't have enough background to know all that may be implied by the directive, but the latter part certainly has a mocking, dismissive tone.

Oeco

English - US
    I agree with cucuflete here. Candy cane lane suggests a place saccharine in its innocence. Just because a website or two use it to mean places where Christmas lights are brightly displayed doesn't mean that this is its only meaning. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the places of lights idea is derivative rather than original.

< Previous | Next >