candy-scrape

• Lee Sing

English from England
    Majlo - again, never heard of it, but from the context, I suspect it is the (outmoded) custom of inviting friends to one's house and feeding them with home-made candy. The story refers to a 'barrel of molasses' - presumably the candy will be made from this.

iolanthe

English, UK
    A gathering involving lots of sweet things to eat?

If, as was suggested in an earlier thread, this story is by Louisa May Alcott, then it is using somewhat outdated American English. Majlo, who is the author and what is the first date of publication of this story?

u&iraok

English
    I found a reference to a candy-scrape in a book entitled, Louis Sinclair,[...] by Daniel Wise, published in 1867. Like the book, 'Jack and Jill' by Alcott a bunch of kids were invited to a candy-scrape where there would be 'nice molasses candy the girls would make.' Then at the party the girls were 'preparing the molasses to be boiled down into candy.' The boys arrived and joined them and 'with many lively jokes, and much fun, they proceeded first to make and then eat the candy.'

I'm assuming making the candy involved scraping the molasses off the side of the pan or something similar. There is a tool in current use called a candy scraper which is a kind of spatula.

In a cookbook from 1890 is a possible recipe that was used:

Molasses candy

One cup of molasses, two cups of sugar, one tablespoon vinegar, a little butter and vanilla, boil ten minutes, then cool it enough to pull.

A similar recipe states that you have to stir the mixture constantly to keep it from scorching.