Candy

mattmnyc

English USA
What is the best word in Spanish to say "candy" in the most general sense? I've seen dulce, caramelo and golosina. Does it depend on the country/region?

Regarding "caramelo," I had always thought it meant carmel, but in dictionaries it is described as meaning candy, in general. Is that the case?

Is there another word I should be aware of?

Thanks.

• SDLX Master

Spanish - Peru
    Here we say caramelo for candy. Dulce is a not widely used synonym but it can also be used to mean candy and golosina is a word that refers to sweets in general.

fran kornbacher

Venezuela-espanol
    Yo creo que depende de la region o pais. Por ejemplo en Venezuela le decimos caramelos, he escuchado que en Mexico le dicen dulces a los caramelos y creo que golosina en general son los caramelos y todo aquello relacionado con los dulces.

Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    What is the best word in Spanish to say "candy" in the most general sense? I've seen dulce, caramelo and golosina. Does it depend on the country/region?

Regarding "caramelo," I had always thought it meant carmel, but in dictionaries it is described as meaning candy, in general. Is that the case?

Is there another word I should be aware of?

Thanks.
    It's hard to make the difference, as they are pretty much the same, but let's see:

Dulce is more like only sweet things

Golosina is any children's food, from chocolate to the hot kind (like chilli powder, etc.) or even salted-peanutty stuff.

Caramelo is more of what is called 'hard candy'

Carmel is a completely different thing, we called that cajeta.

Did I lose you? Did I make sense to you? ;)

vignette

Spain - Spanish
    Yes, it could depend on the region as in everywhere.
    Sweets, candies,... is there any difference in English?

Same in Spanish. You can say "golosina" and it would be always right. "Caramelo" is also correct but it also means "caramel". "Dulce" is a broader term. It's used to refer to "sweets" in general; they can be cakes, candies, tarts,...

grivasl

mexico español
    in the norwest of mexico
    caramel=caramel is a soft (not hard)candy
    dulce is a hard candy
    and golosinas is any childrens food

< Previous | Next >