cane buildings

AlexanderIII

Russian
Hi, everybody!
Could you please help me to interpret a phrase from the documentary film Global Trekker (s14, ep 9) "Ukraine":
The narrator talks about the town (Pripyat) situated not far from the place where Chernobil distaster took place in 1986.

After 25 years the abandoned city of Pripyat is fading, stripped by vandals and looters of everything from bathroom fixtures to scrap metals while the forest slowly takes over the roads and cane buildings.

I know what cane is:
the hollow jointed stem of tall reeds, grasses, etc., especially bamboo or the slender, pliant stem of plants such as rattan.

But actually there are no huts made of cane in Ukraine where the film was shot. While the narrator pronounces these words the camera shows decrepit buildings made of concrete. Probably there is some other meaning of "cane" that is absent in dictionaries or some kind of a joke or pun that I cannot understand. Would you help please?

• lgs

American English
    Could the cane be taking over the buildings? The sentence could be a parallel sentence as in,

"...while the forest slowly takes over the roads and cane (takes over the) buildings."

Is there cane in that part of the forest in the Ukraine?

AlexanderIII

Russian
    No, as far as I know, it is not. But nevertheless it looks like you are right, Lgs. Probably the grass is the first to settle on the tops of the concrete buildings. Thank you very much.

Loob

English UK
    Alexander, is this something you've heard, rather than seen written?

If so, could what you've heard as "cane" perhaps be "decaying":
    while the forest slowly takes over the roads and decaying buildings
    ?

timpeac

English (England)
    Alexander, is this something you've heard, rather than seen written?

If so, could what you've heard as "cane" perhaps be "decaying":
    while the forest slowly takes over the roads and decaying buildings
    ?
    This was my first guess too. The "d" of "decaying" could have been merged with the preceding "d" of "and".

AlexanderIII

Russian
    No, no, I have a script prepared by a quolified English speaking person. Nevertheless the mistypes occur there from time to time. Actually in the video the narrator also says "cane". So this isn't a mistype.

Myridon

English - US
    "and decaying buildings" can sound the same as "and eh-cane buildings". If that "eh" is very slight or the person tends to pronounce "and" as "and-eh" (and-eh cane buildings), it may be very hard to tell the difference. "Decaying buildings" makes wonderful sense in the context.

Loob

English UK
    I think it means the houses that are built of cane sticks.
    See post 1, ayed: there are no houses made of cane in
    Pripyat.

Looking at various pictures and stories, I can't see any indications of cane vegetation either.

Myridon and Tim are right: "and decaying" could sound almost exactly like "and cane". I feel sure 'cane' is a mistake:).

--------
    EDIT: I see you've edited your post, ayed. Unfortunately
    there's no such thing as "crane buildings".

AlexanderIII

Russian
    Thank you very much. The mistake ('cane' instead of 'decaying') is quite possible. The more so the camera at the moment shows the decrepit concrete buildings.

< Previous | Next >