cane-head

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
Could someone, please, help me understand what a cane-head is? It come in Tam Sawyer's chapter 4, page 53. I guess it is a kind of candy or lollipop made from sugar-cane, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance

• lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Perhaps you could provide some context by quoting the text which includes the phrase.
    Here it is: "...then all the young clerks in town in a body — for they had stood in the vestibule sucking their cane-heads, a circling wall of oiled and simpering admirers, till the last girl had run their gantlet;..." Thanks in advance

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It just means the heads of their canes; here are pictures of some. In those days, smartly dressed young men carried canes—not because they needed them to walk, but as a fashion accessory.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    It just means the heads of their canes; here are pictures of some. In those days, smartly dressed young men carried canes—not because they needed them to walk, but as a fashion accessory.
    Thank you very much, Parla. The "sucking" bit mislead me, but I guess some people are ready to suck anything.

< Previous | Next >