Cane it on the motorways

< Previous | Next >

Paulfromitaly

Italian
Hello folk,
An English woman is talking about her holidays with a mate.

..Most school holidays we do the rounds, it gives me a chance to cane it on the motorways but it's always great to come home.

I can't figure out what she means with "cane it on"..

Cheers.

• edval89

United States/English
    Don't know - I have this image of an Englishwoman going crazy in her car on the highway. Maybe it just means going really fast? Not sure...

Packard

USA, English
    To "cane" someone means to "whip" them with a stick.

To make a race horse run faster you would whip the horse.

Perhaps this is an extended metaphor.

loladamore

English UK
    To "cane" someone means to "whip" them with a stick.

To make a race horse run faster you would whip the horse.

Perhaps this is an extended metaphor.
    Perhaps it is. As 'cane it' also means 'to overindulge in drugs or alcohol' in the UK, I presumed it had something to do with cocaine. That seemed logical (in my mind) as being to do with going faster, but it might not be anything to do with that at all. As you can also go 'on the lash' meaning to get drunk, I suppose that both lash and caning might be something to do with harming yourself. On the morning after you might agree that you've given yourself a beating. Only speculation, of course, and I think I'm going off on a tangent here.

Cheers.

Matching Mole

England, English
    As much as it may be associated with overindulging in drugs I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the word cocaine and everything to do with Packard's explanation. What it really means is to push (oneself) well beyond normal limits (usually in the context of enjoying oneself). It has been in use long before cocaine became as popular at social occasions as it is now, and for a long time in contexts where cocaine was not the preferred intoxicant.

< Previous | Next >