cane-wielding

< Previous | Next >

meramli

turkish
BBC What happens in a university run by IS?

"Now, many of them would like to leave Isil, but they know they will be killed immediately.”
Many of the city's former leaders and councillors have been killed. Scholars and clergymen who opposed IS were imprisoned or killed and replaced with sympathisers, so the regime has control of the city's mosques.
Women face particular sanctions, including from cane-wielding patrols of vice police.

Can you explain the meaning of this? Thanks in advance.

• The Newt

English - US
    "Wield" means to carry something (and potentially strike someone with it). So the vice police are armed with canes, which they are likely to use to strike the women.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that "cane" here does not mean the item used by persons who have difficulty in walking without support, as in "Grandfather needs a cane in order to walk." The word instead refers to an implement of punishment used to beat someone, as in "Two hundred years ago, teachers would punish lazy schoolboys with the cane."

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    When I hear the word "cane", I tend to think of the thing you swing first, not the thing you lean on. One of those things that shows how age affects perspective and which leads me to believe I'm younger than GreenWhiteBlue.;)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "Two hundred years ago, teachers would punish lazy schoolboys with the cane."
    Appallingly, physical assault of children/pupils by teachers was banned in the UK only in 1986.

Women face particular sanctions, including from cane-wielding patrols of vice police.
    As a well-developed, very bright ten-year-old, in a state-funded Christian religious primary school, in 1953, in England, only 63 years ago, I was savagely beaten with a leather strap by a very nasty, very little, so-called man, so-called teacher, just because I hadn't "given my sums homework in before playtime". I couldn't use my left, non-writing, hand for a week while the blisters healed. I remember him asking if I was right- or left- handed.
    Looking back, with the understandings I have now, I know that he enjoyed it. The term "vice police" makes my blood freeze.

I associate 'canes', made from bamboo I suppose, with 19th century private schools, because that's what we read about and see in the movies, the stereotype.

In state-run schools, and also in private schools where at least part of the funding came from government, corporal punishment was outlawed by the British Parliament in 1986. In other private schools, it was banned in 1998 (England and Wales), 2000 (Scotland) and 2003 (Northern Ireland).[124]
    People these days use metal walking sticks, not canes.

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    When I hear the word "cane", I tend to think of the thing you swing first, not the thing you lean on. One of those things that shows how age affects perspective and which leads me to believe I'm younger than GreenWhiteBlue.;)
    Culture is even more important to perspective. Even when corporal punishment was used in American schools, it did not involve an action called "caning", or an item called a "cane".

People these days use metal walking sticks, not canes.
    The common term in the US for such an item would be a "cane", and not a "walking stick", metal or otherwise.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Culture is even more important to perspective. Even when corporal punishment was used in American schools, it did not involve an action called "caning", or an item called a "cane".
    I associate caning with private (boarding) schools in England. I associate strapping with state schools.
    It was sometimes called 'a belting' especially in domestic situations. Men took off their leather belts and hit their children with them.
    The straps in schools were purpose designed with the hitting end cut into strips to cause even more hurt and damage.

< Previous | Next >