cannot call a strike unless it holds a ballot of members

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
ballot
the system of voting in writing and usually in secret; an occasion on which a vote is held
• The union cannot call a strike unless it holds a ballot of members.
(OALD)

Does that mean "in order for the union to make it possible to call a strike they must first hold a ballot on this issue amongst its members"? Thanks.

• waltern

English - USA
    Right - in other words, the union cannot go on strike unless its members vote to do so.

se16teddy

English - England
    I don't understand what you mean by "make it possible". If you don't turn up to work just because you don't feel like it, your employer can take disciplinary action. But if your union calls a strike (invites colleagues not to turn up to work) and you don't turn up to work, you enjoy certain legal protections.

Hmm. I've never heard or seen "hold a ballot of members", yet waltern seems to know it, so I guess it's not an AE/BE difference.:rolleyes:

I would have had to reconstruct the idea as "cannot call a strike without first putting it up for a membership vote by ballot" or "without first asking its members for a ballot vote" or something like that.:rolleyes:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you all.
    I don't understand what you mean by "make it possible".
    Yes, by "make it possible" I meant "to make calling a strike legal".
    Hmm. I've never heard or seen "hold a ballot of members", yet waltern seems to know it, so I guess it's not an AE/BE difference.:rolleyes:
    "Ballot of members" srtuck me too!
    OALD has a very similar example too: "The union cannot call a strike unless it holds a ballot amongst its members."
    Does it mean absolutely the same?

< Previous | Next >