can't carry a tune in a bucket

arueng

CHINESE
I don't know why Mary's in the choir. She can't carry a tune in a bushel basket. Joe likes to sing in the shower, though he can't carry a tune in a bucket. I'd try to hum the song for you, but I can't carry a tune in a paper sack.

Hi,

I ran into the above on the internet, and I wonder why there are "in a bushel basket," "in a bucket," and "in a paper sack" following "carry a tune," and they still mean the same. How should I understand these bizzare editions? Thanks.

• ><FISH'>

British English
    I have no idea what they're supposed to convey, but I don't think it matters. They're just ways of making the phrase sound more "quirky". The end meaning is the same: Can't carry a tune = is a terrible singer.

Ceremoniar

USA
    American English
    The most common meaning of carry is to physically hold something while one moves along from one place to another. However, the expression carry a tune means that someone can sing at least reasonably well--maybe not very well, but enough to get through a song. So if someone says that Mary can't carry a tune, that means that her singing is bad, and that even something as weightless as a tune cannot be "carried" by Mary. If a bucket or pail is mentioned, it means that her singing is REALLY bad, because not even having a container would help her "carry" it.

Last edited:

mplsray

I don't know why Mary's in the choir. She can't carry a tune in a bushel basket. Joe likes to sing in the shower, though he can't carry a tune in a bucket. I'd try to hum the song for you, but I can't carry a tune in a paper sack.

Hi,

I ran into the above on the internet, and I wonder why there are "in a bushel basket," "in a bucket," and "in a paper sack" following "carry a tune," and they still mean the same. How should I understand these bizzare editions? Thanks.
    Carry has many figurative senses, and carry a tune is one of them. The various add-ons you cite are simply humorous variants, invented later, which treat the word carry as if being used in a literal sense, so that one could carry a tune in something. These variants would be avoided in formal speech.

< Previous | Next >