can't grasp the fact

ShareisBeauty

Chinese
“Potatoes are put 'on rations' on a scale of 3 lbs per week for the bourgeois. And so the last "filler" food disappears from the diet, and the days of real hunger come upon us. It's extraordinary how one is conditioned by a secure past:even now I can't grasp the fact that I, WHL, will go to bed hungry and get up hungry; these, I say, are things that happen to nations one reads about in the papers, not to me."(A.N. Wilson After the Victorians)
Q: even now I can't grasp the fact. What fact I cannot understand even now? I cannot find the logic esp. in the following apposition expressions of the fact and how it is related logically to the previous sentences.
Thank you all.

• Ponyprof

Canadian English
    I can't grasp the fact (I can't understand or accept) that I will go to bed hungry here in comfortable middle class Britain.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Even now" means even after all the firsthand experience I have of living this way I can't believe I'm living this way. It still doesn't seem real.

suzi br

English / England
    "Even now" means even after all the firsthand experience I have of living this way I can't believe I'm living this way. It still doesn't seem real.
    Yes. It’s about disbelief. Even though he is experiencing the hardship is seems incredible.

< Previous | Next >