Can't "pure" a 3-iron

< Previous | Next >

ollin69

Mexico, Spanish
Hi, I'm working on a paper about golf, and this sentence is the secondary headline, but I can't figure out what does it mean... any hints, please? (The only part I don't understand is the one I'm highlighting.)

"Can't 'pure' a 3-iron or putt worth a damn? Doesn't matter. You can still turn to golf's all-time great dressers for looks that work as well on the street as on the fairway"

I know a 3-iron and a putt are golf clubs, but I find the sentence too technical... Would a golf-lover be so kind as to educate me?

Thanks for your help!

• Copyright

American English
    While we're waiting for someone who knows, I will suggest that PURE is a process of club shaft and head alignment. Here's some more information. And here's a small quote from that page:

Why do shafts need to be PUREd?
    Like snowflakes and fingerprints, no two golf shafts are exactly the same. Every shaft contains irregularities in straightness, roundness and stiffness that are inherent to the manufacturing process. These structural inconsistencies can negatively or positively affect a shaft’s performance depending on how the shaft is aligned in the clubhead. SST PURE locates the most stable orientation in any shaft.

Disclaimer: Realize that like many plausible theories this one could be totally wrong.

mangoman

British English
    I'm not a golfer, but from the context, it seems to me that to "pure" a 3-iron might mean to play a stroke sweetly with that club, to hit the ball perfectly. The context is about wearing "stylish" golf apparel (!), so that you look like Tiger Woods or some such person, even though you can't play well.

< Previous | Next >