canton du Valais

French - Switzerland
Hello,

How do you say "canton du Valais" or any other canton in English?

"Valais canton"? "canton of Valais"

My sentence: "Sion est le chef-lieu du canton du Valais". "Sion is the capital of the canton of Valais"? (I want to keep the word "canton" in my sentence, therefore I don't want to say "Sion is the Valais capital" which would maybe be easier.)

NB. A canton is a state in Switerland (a federal coutrny that counts 26 "cantons"), the equivalent of a State in the USA or a "Land" in Germany.

• RedHairFrenchGuy

French
    Bonjour, il n'y a pas de traduction possible du fait que le découpage géographique est différent d'un pays à l'autre, je doute fortement que les cantons Suisses soient similaires aux "Etats" américains ou aux régions françaises.
    Vous pouvez dire "Valais canton" le mot "canton" est intraduisible.

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    The word canton exists in English, to refer to the Swiss administrative regions. You may say either Valais canton or the canton of Valais. Both are correct.

RedHairFrenchGuy

French
    The word canton exists in English, to refer to the Swiss administrative regions. You may say either Valais canton or the canton of Valais. Both are correct.
    That's what I said, it's like "regions of France", for " régions" you can't translate it because it's typical of a country even if the word exists in English, anyway thanks jann.

< Previous | Next >