Cantonese: 㗎噃/喎

Hyperpolyglot

British Official English
View attachment Gabo Gawei.wav

Please click the link above to listen to the audio so you know what I'm talking about.
I came across these words from TV shows and this cook talks about the meat is tough and hard to cook. He used Gabo after talking about the meat is tough(啲肉好硬Gabo) and he used Gawei after he said it is hard to cook(好難煮Gawei).

Another video is of this girl talking to her friend about her wedding and that she wanted to help.
Hey, have you reserved a day yet? I have many things to help out.(喂你訂咗日子未啫?我有好多嘢要幫手Gabo)
After she said she has many things to help out, she said Gabo.

What exactly is Gabo? Are there other examples of it and how do I know when to use Gabo?
What is the English equivalent of Gabo and Gawei? I see after you use Gabo, you don't necessarily have to use Gawei as the example of the girl talking about 我有好多嘢要幫手Gabo, and she just leave it at that without Gawei, but if I use Gawei, do I must use Gabo first? Or can I use Gawei by itself?
And what is the Chinese/Cantonese character for Gabo and Gawei?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • HongKonger

Chinese
    啲肉好硬架=啲肉好硬架播=啲肉好硬架喎

架, 播, 喎, 等等是廣州話(廣東話)的語氣助詞, 普通話是沒有的, 你只要輸入"架播"搜尋一番, 就可找到大量例子, 如" 好難比較架播" "其實香港法例好似唔比墮胎架播" "香港足球係幾勁架播"......

in my opinion, 在多數情況下, 架=架播=架喎, but they will not be used together, for instance, the following sentence is wrong:
    啲肉好硬架播架喎:cross:

sometimes, "喎"is used to expression concession, for example:
    1) 你敢樣做好似唔係幾好喎
    2) 你敢樣做我會好唔掂架喎

compared:
    3) 你敢樣做我會好唔掂架
    did you see the difference between 2 and 3?

AquisM

English/Cantonese
    Cantonese has a lot of sentence particles that express emotion. Really, they are just meaningless words that go at the end of a sentence. Think of them as "ew", "yo", "ugh", "yay" etc. in English. A stereotypically comedic example would be the 'la's and 'leh's that Chinese use a lot. Since Cantonese is not an official language anywhere, there is no standardised way of writing the particularities of its spoken form. Normally, we just use homophones and add a 'mouth' 口 (normally written as 'o' online as many input methods don't support these characters) radical. 'Gabo'/'Gawei' can be written as o架(ga)播(bo)/o架(ga)喂(wei).

The use of one particle over another really is a stylistic choice. Ending a sentence in 'loh' doesn't convey the same emotion as ending in 'dzek'. Think of them as emoticons in words. However, you would never use these particles together (i.e. they will not go next to each other). 'Ga'/'Gabo'/'Gawei' is used to convey, in my opinion, represents a matter-of-fact tone. Sometimes 'Gabo' can be used for disbelief. For example:

喂,我今朝收到個ABC公司o既電話,話我中o左獎。 Hey, today I got a call from ABC Co., saying that I won a prize.
    無理由o架(播)。我地公司都無舉行抽獎。 How could that be? Our company didn't have any raffle going on.

Or e.g.

A kid is touching the products on display at a glassware store.
    Mom: 喂,你唔可以咁做o架(播/喂). Hey, you can't do that, ok?

< Previous | Next >