Cantonese: 隊, 冚友

matty884

English - America, Chinese- Cantonese
My friend was saying that I could ask my 兄弟 to go 推 somebody, as a joke - I think it means to bully/attack/punching~ or something. He wasn't sure of the exact Chinese character and used 推 to represent the idea -- it sounds like dui/tui he told me... Can anyone confirm this?

My friend also mentioned the word "lam jau" (pronounced like lum yow/yao), which is similar meaning to 推 (like in 古惑仔). Does anyone know the exact Chinese character for lam jau, and perhaps a more accurate definition (if the one from my friend isn't sufficient)

Hopefully someone can let me know :)
Thanks!!

Last edited:
  • laisla

English - Australia
    "lam jau " sounds like "blue wine"
    The word is "tui" (with highest tone, tone no.1) it means to "push" somebody. To say bully is to "Haa"(1st tone)

lmyyyks

Cantonese
    I guess the "推" mentioned by your friend is actually "隊" (dui2) , its a very rough and colloquial speaking. It is never used in writing, but only exists in oral Cantonese. It means "to attack". Sometimes we may hear things like "隊冧佢", meaning "to kill somebody".
    Another word having the similar meaning is "郁", which its usual meaning is "to move"

I couldn't think of anything similar to "隊" about "lam jau"

Zulis

Hong Kong - Cantonese, English

I couldn't think of anything similar to "隊" about "lam jau"
    I know, ding ding ding ding!

It's 冧友

Sometimes we may hear things like "隊冧佢", meaning "to kill somebody". <zulis: i would say it means "let's kill him!"
    So 冧 is "to kill", and 友 is "the person, the guy, those people, etc" plural or singular depends on the context.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >