Cantonese: gāaujai 交際

seitt

English/Welsh
Greetings

In Colloquial Cantonese: The Complete Course for Beginners by Bourgerie, Tong and James (p. 15), on the subject of introductions, the title of the chapter is Gāaujai, translated as “Meeting people”.

Please, what Chinese characters are represented by gāaujai?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

• seitt

English/Welsh
    Many thanks! By the way, are you happy with the way in which the sounds of the Cantonese word have been represented by ‘gāaujai’, or do you think this job could have been done more accurately?

SuperXW

Many thanks! By the way, are you happy with the way in which the sounds of the Cantonese word have been represented by ‘gāaujai’, or do you think this job could have been done more accurately?
    It depends. Although 交際 refers to "communicate with people" or "social activity" (literally broader than "meeting people"), in your textbook, 交際 could be the most proper and concise word for that kind of "meeting people".
    If you don't like 交際 for the translation, you may try 社交.
    I can't find any good word-to-word translation for "meeting people", i.e., 遇見人 is not an idiomatic expression; 與人會面 may be too formal.

Last edited:

darren8221

Mandarin - Taiwanese
    I believe OP's asking about the accuracy of the phonetic expression? Wiktionary says "Cantonese (Jyutping): gaau1 zai3" while OP saw gāaujai. I'm not a Cantonese speaker so I can't tell.

< Previous | Next >