capacidad de influencia

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by RAFABARAJIM, May 16, 2011.

1. RAFABARAJIM

RAFABARAJIM Senior Member

MEXCIO CITY
    Mexican Spanish
    Hola foreros, buenas tardes, solicito su ayuda para verificar mi traducción de la frase en el siguiente contexto...

Sujetos escolares con capacidad de influencia para crear nuevas relaciones de poder entre la administración educativa y las escuelas involucradas en las necesidades de cada comunidad.
    Mi intento:
    School subjects with influencing capacity to create new power relationships between education authorities and the schools involved in the needs of each community.

agradezco de antemano su ayuda, mil gracias,

greetings from Mexico City, AKA chilangolandia

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    La traducción es excelente. ("Capacidad" puede ser "capacity", "capability" o "ability"; en este contexto prefiero "capability".)

3. donbill

donbill Senior Member

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    I must disagree with sprachliebhaber. I don't know what "influencing capacity" means. Does it mean the capacity to influence? the ability to influence?

4. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Senior Member

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi,
    That's what it means in Spanish.
    Regards.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Um, are "sujetos escolares" classes or people?
    "Influencing capacity" doesn't work for me either.

6. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Obviamente sujetos como "classes" es incorrecto, pero lo entendí como Spanglish porque "sujetos escolares" como individuos parece una usanza inusual en esta frase.

7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"School subjects" to me are math, science, history, etc.
    I think "sujetos escolares" means people.

8. donbill

donbill Senior Member

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    I agree with you, k-in-sc. Sujetos does not mean asignaturas, materias or clases. It is, nevertheless, a really tricky word for us to translate, because it lends itself so well to misunderstanding.

As for influencing capacity, I simply don't understand it. Syntactically it's fine; semantically it's lacking. I would be much more inclined to say "The capacity/ability to influence" or "The capacity/ability for influencing". If others find it acceptable, they should use it.

Saludos

9. RAFABARAJIM

MEXCIO CITY
    Mexican Spanish
    Thank you everybody, very enlightning, yes, sujetos escolares refers to people, so would it be better to say something else instead of subjects? this is the definition given here in word reference:

subjects:
    in Spanish | in French | in Italian
    English synonyms| in context | images
    Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
    subject

▶noun /ˈsʌbdʒɪkt, -dʒɛkt/ 
    • 1 a person or thing that is being discussed or dealt with or that gives rise to something.
    ■ Logic the part of a proposition about which a statement is made.

■ a person who is the focus of scientific or medical attention or experiment.
    • 2 a branch of knowledge studied or taught in a school, college, or university.
    • 3 Grammar a noun or noun phrase about which the rest of the clause is predicated.
    • 4 a member of a state owing allegiance to its monarch or supreme ruler.
    • 5 Music a theme of a fugue or of a piece in sonata form; a leading phrase or motif.
    • 6 Philosophy a thinking or feeling entity; the conscious mind or ego. ■ the central substance or core of a thing as opposed to its attributes.
    by this definition subjects do refer to people, but I accept any other suggestion,

Greetings from Mexico City AKA chilangolandia

10. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm not sure exactly who the "sujetos escolares" are.
    But without knowing, I guess your original means something like "People/individuals/those (with)in the academic environment who can help influence the creation of new power relationships between education authorities and the schools involved in the needs of each community."

11. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Senior Member

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    I think "individuals" would avoid any ambiguity. Maybe "subjects" keeps this sense of "an individual being the topic of study or analysis".
    ;)

12. RAFABARAJIM

MEXCIO CITY
    Mexican Spanish
    Thanks a lot K and Milton, it is so nice to get this quality help so promptly,

Greetings from Mexico City AKA Chilangolandia