capitán de infantería / de inteligencia [militar]

Heredianista

English - USA
Hello,

I've looked up "capitán" in several resources and found many applications of the word, but I do not know how to translate "capitán de Infantería" or "capitán de inteligencia" in the context of the book I'm translating, which deals with the military in Peru in the 1980s. I need to find terms that correspond (if possible) to titles in the U.S. military.

"Aquí... el general Neol plantó una de sus primeras bases contrasubversivas, al mando del capitán de Infantería Santiago de Picón.... [él] y sus cincuenta soldados se adueñaron de la única escuela secundaria de Totos....

En la base los esperaban [Santiago de Picón] y Goytizolo, uno de los capitanes de inteligencia del destacamento de Paz. Ambos capitanes... hacían buena pareja."

I do not know what terms in the U.S. military might correspond to these titles. Can anyone possible help me?

¡Mil gracias!

• pops91710

English, AE
    Are you looking for an equivilancy in rank? As you know, a captain, even in the US Navy is different and is far above (in rank) than say, a captain in the Marine Corp, Army, or Air Force.

Also, (and I am sure you know this), a captain of a team or the captains of industry are the leaders.

In view of that, my guess is that the capitán de Infantería is just an Infantry Captain. But military ranks may not equivilate from US to Peruvian armed forces.

Now, the usage of capitanes de inteligencia leads me to suppose they are the leaders of the Intelligence Corp. Just what rank or ranks that would be is uncertain.

I am sorry I have not helped much!

Heredianista

English - USA
    Dear pops,

Thank you so much for your time!

Yes, you have hit on exactly what the trouble is, for me, in translating this.

It's great to get another person's perspective on it, though.

Happy Holidays!
    ~h

Heredianista

English - USA
    Wow, thank you!

I wish I had seen this before translating nearly 70 pages of text already! ;)

It is very kind of you to spend your time helping me chase down answers to these elusive and slippery terms.

Seeing this hierarchy helps, certainly, but it also seems to contradict information suggested in the book (regarding who is superior to whom, for example) as well as certain translations of certain terms here in the WR dictionary.

Also, it doesn't tell me which North American military rank (or title) corresponds with each Peruvian rank (or title).

This whole matter of translating military ranks, titles and terminology has been by far the most difficult aspect of this translation. (It does not help that I know nothing about North American Armed Forces ranks, titles and hierarchy, either!)

I hope I don't have to go back and change a whole lot of translations I've already made based on other sources...

Ni modo... ¡adelante!

Have a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
    ~h

pops91710

English, AE
    Wow, thank you!

I wish I had seen this before translating nearly 70 pages of text already! ;)

It is very kind of you to spend your time helping me chase down answers to these elusive and slippery terms.

Seeing this hierarchy helps, certainly, but it also seems to contradict information suggested in the book (regarding who is superior to whom, for example) as well as certain translations of certain terms here in the WR dictionary.

Also, it doesn't tell me which North American military rank (or title) corresponds with each Peruvian rank (or title).

This whole matter of translating military ranks, titles and terminology has been by far the most difficult aspect of this translation. (It does not help that I know nothing about North American Armed Forces ranks, titles and hierarchy, either!)

I hope I don't have to go back and change a whole lot of translations I've already made based on other sources...

Ni modo... ¡adelante!

Have a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
    ~h
    that directed me to the link I sent you. I had rank equivilancy in it. But! Bear in mind that since those days it is quite possible the Peruvian army has been through a transformation and the grades may have changed. I have been out for nearly 38 years and it has changed so much I don't recognize it hardly.

US Armed Forces Pay Grade/Titles in ascending order:

Junior Officers
    0-1 = 2nd Lieutenant (USMC,USAF,USA), Ensign USN
    0-2 = 1st Lieutenant (USMC,USAF,USA), Lieutenant jg USN (jg means junior grade)
    0-3 = Captain (USMC,USAF,USA), Lieutenant USN

Field Grade Officers
    0-4 = Major (USMC,USAF,USA), Lieutenant Commander USN
    0-5 = Lieutenant Colonel (USMC,USAF,USA), Commander USN
    0-6 = Colonel (USMC,USAF,USA), Captain USN

General Officers
    0-7 = Brigadier General (USMC,USAF,USA), Rear Admiral USN (lower half)
    0-8 = Major General (USMC,USAF,USA), Rear Admiral USN (upper half)
    0-9 = Lieutenant General (USMC,USAF,USA), Vice Admiral USN
    0-10 = General (USMC,USAF,USA), Fleet Admiral USN

You can go here and plug in these grades I have listed and it may give you comparisons to other armed forces. Did you ever think it would be so tough?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_General

Jom

Español-España
    Hola:

Aunque no hay, que yo sepa, una equivalencia formal y esctricta de empleos militares entre naciones, tal vez la que más se aproxime sea la de OTAN/NATO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_NATO_Armies_Officers

Ésta equivalencia se usa no sólo para los miembros de OTAN, sino también para otras naciones que participan en misiones internacionales con OTAN, de los cinco continentes.

Aquí puedes ver que un capitán es un OF2 (salvo si es de la Marina, que es un OF5), lo que establece una equivalencia entre uno del Perú, de EEUU o de otras muchas naciones.

Así pues, como dice pops infantry captain e intelligence captain son las traducciones correctas. Que ambos rangos son el mismo se aclara en la frase "Ambos capitanes... hacían buena pareja".

Heredianista

English - USA
    You two are magnificent!

I cannot thank you enough for your hard work and assiduous determination to help me understand this and get it right.

I hope I can be helpful to you both some day.

Take care and know I'll not forget your contributions.