Capital letters: I am working as a M(m)anager at the P(p)urchasing D(d)epartment

bosun

Banned
korean
Which one is correct?

I am working as a Manger at the Purchasing Department or
I am working as a manger at the purchasing department.

• Anakin59

Argentina - castellano
    As far as I know, it should be capitalized.

Did you mean "manager"?
    A manger is an open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock

sanshi34z

CHINESE
    I searched on google and found in a lot of the cases 'manager''purchasing''department' are capitalized in sentences...hmm, I hope someone could give me a lecture about capitalization.

miache_ay

Philippines, Tagalog/English
    You must have meant manager. No manager does not have to be capitalized. In fact in writing it is correct for you to keep it lower case.
    This 2nd sentence is correct.

I am working as a manger at the purchasing department.

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    i searched on google and found in a lot of the cases 'manager''purchasing''department' are capitalized in sentences...hmm, i hope someone could give me a lecture about capitalization.
    "Manager" when used as a title, is written with a capital "M". When it is used as an ordinary noun, it is written with a small "m".

Example:
    Queen Elizabeth is a queen. (No capital letters used for the second "queen" word.)
    She is the Queen of England. (Queen of England is a title and hence requires a capital "Q".)

By the way, please apply capitalization to all your posts in WR forums. You have to write in standard language forms (Rule #22.)

sanshi34z

CHINESE
    "Manager" when used as a title, is written with a capital "M". When it is used as an ordinary noun, it is written with a small "m".

Example:
    Queen Elizabeth is a queen. (No capital letters used for the second "queen" word.)
    She is the Queen of England. (Queen of England is a title and hence require a capital "Q".)

By the way, please apply capitalization to all your posts in WR forums. You have to write in standard language forms (.)
    Sorry, I will apply the rules. I am not trying to making up an excuse, but you can tell I havn't paid much attention to capitalization...not that I wasn't trying to use standard language.

sdgraham

USA English

Example:
    She is the Queen of England. (Queen of England is a title and hence require a capital "Q".)
    This is correct, according to the Associated Press Stylebook, the guide for most newspapers in the United States (and the one by which I personally swear) Also note that it's Pope Benedict XVI but "the pope." The rule holds regardless of the prestige of the person referenced.

Note, however that multiple style guides exist and it's common for lawyers, for example, to capitalize words like judge, court, etc. when writing legal documents.

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    I won't say its so in every case, but usually if a noun takes the place of a name (Queen instead of Elizabeth) it is capitalized.

If it is a title it is always capitalized (Queen Elizabeth)

if it is not specific to one person (he is a manager/the manager) it does not need to be capitalized

sdgraham

USA English
    I won't say its so in every case, but usually if a noun takes the place of a name (Queen instead of Elizabeth) it is capitalized.
    No. Please see my response above and authority citation. The American newspaper industry is a massive amount of use each day and I suggest qualifies for the term "usually." The Chicago Manual of Style agrees with the AP Stylebook.

Merags

English - Canada
    "Manager" would not be capitilized when it is used in a sentence as a noun. As mentioned above, a capital is only required when it is used to signify a title.

< Previous | Next >