Capital stock and share capital

< Previous | Next >

annettehola

Banned
Danish
..is that the same or not?

I'd translate "share cap." as "capital social" as the context is about share holders in companies and how much capital is involved in this on part of the company.
But then I come across "cap. stock" and I get the impression it's the same. I am not sure.

I want to be.

Thanks,

Annette

• Marinero

English USA
    Hi Annette !

As you have asked your question in English, may I request an English clarification of want you want to translate?
    In my American business, Capital Stock is the common stock issued by the company and shown on the balance sheet as dollars. Share Capital is also called Paid in Capital, and is the portion of a corporation's equity obtained from issuing shares in return for cash or other considerations, also shown on the balance sheet in dollars.
    Which do you wish to translate?

annettehola

Banned
    Danish
    Hi, Marinero,

Thanks for your definitions. Very helpful. I first thought the two things to be the same. Now I see that was wrong. Thanks.
    I want to translate "Share capital." This is "Capital Social;" no doubt, taking your definitions into consideration.
    And how would you translate "Capital stock;" then?

Annette

Marinero

English USA
    Annette:

I’m afraid this is above my knowledge of common financial Spanish usage – but I am here (on this site) to learn better Spanish, so I will keep checking replies for the best answers from those who know best.

For example, I thought it might be

capital real efectivo o capital nominal

but could it be confused with: “El capital social se refiere a las relaciones y normas que conforman la calidad y cantidad de las interacciones sociales de una sociedad.”
    ?:

El Marinero sin Barco

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    From Wiley's Business Dictionary:
    capital stock = acciones de capital

From the Business Spanish Dictionary (Peter Collin Publishing)
    share capital = capital en acciones
    capital social = shareholder's equity or equity capital (an activo fijo --or fixed asset)

If you write down the whole sentence, as it appears on the original, we might be able to provide further assistance.

Saludos,
    LN

Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    According to my dictionary of Bus. Eng. (Longman),

Share Capital = "...value of real assets.(...) is the money which its shareholders have put into the concern to buy the real assets (...) it is usually calculated to be its net worth."

Though this definition is not specially clear to me, it would be "patrimonio neto" in Spanish.

Of course this definition does not agree with Marinero's.

Paid-in capital = "The total amount actually paid up on the issued capital, This amount is equal to the amount of the issued capital less the value of calls in arrears".

This would equal in Spanish "Capital desembolsado"

Cap. Stock = Capital social o capital por acciones.

annettehola

Banned
    Danish
    Then, my Lord(s) !, it was right the original thought?

It's the same; then??

No difference?

"Cap. stock" = ""Cap. social"

??

Annette

And as for any further context: It is absent, not there, missing.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    annettehola said:
    And as for any further context: It is absent, not there, missing.
    Wait... you mean to tell us that the terms are not part of ANY coherent sentence that expresses a complete finance-related thought????

If you are just looking for translations of individual words/entries, then all we can do is cite them as we find them in our dictionaries --and all attempts at an explanation would be futile without you providing any real context/usage.

Saludos,
    LN

Esteban70

Spanish Chile
    share capital= capital social
    Stock refers to acciones. But if you add the word capital seems to me that goes somewhere else.
    I'll try mareinero explanation.

annettehola

Banned
    Danish
    "Wait... you mean to tell us that the terms are not part of ANY coherent sentence that expresses a complete finance-related thought????

If you are just looking for translations of individual words/entries, then all we can do is cite them as we find them in our dictionaries --and all attempts at an explanation would be futile without you providing any real context/usage."

Look, I will tell you what I know: I work for and in a Catalan software company. My job consists in translating 3 things into English and the other way round. And at times also into German: 1) Their products. 2) The manuals that go with these products. 3) Business letters and other related correspondance.

At this very moment in time I am working with 1). My current product is called "Comú" - which in Castillian Spanish is "Común." It is a software product that is basic - this is the reason for the name - for all the products of this company. Now; what is a software product; then? Well; what I know is what I see. I see this: It's window after window after window. Some of these windows, Laura, have a short text next to them. This could, fx, be: "Name" or "Gender" or "Legal entity" or whatever. It depends on the window, Laura.
    In this case the window - and sometimes it's a drop-down list instead of a window, OK? - is about "Personas físicas y personas jurídicas" and company organisation.

I hope I have broadened your horison and enlightened your day.

Regards,

Annette

begoña fernandez

Spain - Spanish
    annettehola said:
    ..is that the same or not?

I'd translate "share cap." as "capital social" as the context is about share holders in companies and how much capital is involved in this on part of the company.
    But then I come across "cap. stock" and I get the impression it's the same. I am not sure.

I want to be.

Thanks,

Annette
    Hola Annette,
    He consultado diferentes diccionarios y en especial Eurodicautom y en general he encontrado estas traducciones:
    Capital stock: capital social (suscrito)
    Share capital: capital en acciones

aunque parezca lo mismo, contablemente tiene que haber una diferencia como lo apuntan los anteriores foreros.
    Espero que esto no te cree más incertidumbre, trata de consultar un libro contable donde, seguramente, explican las diferencias. Trataré de encontrar algo más.
    saludos
    BF

Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    A bit of light:

A good explanation of "share capital" and

http://www.accaglobal.com/publications/studentaccountant/36819

an evidence that (at least for some translators s.c. = "capital social")

http://www.telefonica.es/accionistaseinversores/ing/html/accion/composicion.shtml

Edit: If you read through Telefónica's annual report, you will realize that they use "capital stock" in the official, audited Report (within the Annual Accounts) and "share capital" in the documents that goes before (reports on Corporate Governance, business report and so on) WITH THE SAME MEANING (CAPITAL SOCIAL).

annettehola

Banned
    Danish
    BF y Fernando: Muchísimas gracias. Es dificil saber cual es exactamente la diferencia, pero me habeis ayudado mucho con esto. De verdad.

Muchas gracias, chicos!!

Un beso,

Annette

Talens

Spain / Spanish
    I'm sorry to contradict you all but:

Capital Stock = Inmovilizado (in spanish), other exressions in english, would be: Fixed Assets.

Share Capital, Social Capital, Net Equity, Share Value, are not exactly the same, but very very similar and in spanish, refers to, Capital Social, Patrimonio Neto, Valor de las Acciones(Valor Neto Contable).

I've worked in Finance / Accounting in Spain and in the UK and this is the meaning we used for this words.

Talens

Spain / Spanish
    Sorry to post again...

It just came to mi mind that what is confusing you is the fact that Capital Stock means one thing and Stock Capital means a completely different thing, especially in terms of value, one could be worth millions and the other not worth a penny or the opposite, in accounting everything is possible.

To try to clarify:

Again, Capital Stock (key word here in "Capital") is what a company has invested its Share Capital in, so the same is Invested Capital or Paid in Capital: in Spanish, Inmovilizado, Capital Invertido o Inmovilizado, Activo a Largo Plazo... I repeat, the equivalence is not EXACT but they can be used, in general terms, to express the same things.

Whereas:

Stock Capital (key Word here is "Stock" in the meaning of share not inventory), is the value of the shares (we could develop pages on de valuation criteria to determine this value but that is off the subject), and this in Spanish is ... Acciones, Valor Acciones, Capital, Capital Social, Valor de Capital, Patrimonio,... again, the equivalence is not EXACT but they can be used, in general terms, to express the same things.

You can see they are related, but they are the opposite thing (in terms of accounting).

Example:

Buildings (Edificios): 1.000.000
    Machinery (Maquinaria): 500.000
    Hardware (...idem.): 500.000

Capital Stock: 2.000.000

Stock Capital Value: ... Could be 2.000.000 or zero or -500.000... We should know the rest of the information but that is not contemplated here.

I hope this helps.

< Previous | Next >