Capitalization Problem

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
Hello,

I'm new and I hope I can get some much-needed help at this forum. I'm in the process of writing an important essay. In the essay I must refer to various sort of audits that are peculiar to a certain government agency. I am wondering if I should capitalize the names of these audits. For example, this organization carries out (what they have named) "Focused Assessment" audits, Foreign Trade Zone audits, Bonded Warehouse Audits. Should I capitalize "audit." If I say, I am performing a Focused Assessment Audit, is it correct to capitalize "Audit?" Or perhaps I should avoid the whole conundrum by saying something like "he conducted an audit of a Foreign Trade Zone." Okay, that works in that situation but not in the case of the Focused Assessment audit.

• chat9998

English, US
    Hi CommonMan,

Welcome to the forums! :)

If I were you, I would try and avoid the problem wherever possible, with the construction you suggested. But, if you do use the other, then I would capitilize "Audit," if you're going to capitilize "Focus Assessment," because it would be part of the proper noun, too.

I hope this helps,
    God bless,
    Jeff

cirrus

UK English
    For me I would avoid capitals unless the term is a proper noun or in a heading. Otherwise it all starts to look Improbable, Self Important and a tad Erratic.

french4beth

US-English
    Hi CommonMan,

I think that you should capitalize the titles - by the way, do you have access to any documentation from this government agency? That way you could see what they do & use the same format.

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    Beth,

Yes, I have access to the stuff that this agency writes. However, the problem isy ou cannot trust THEIR writing. It's full of inconsistencies. Nevertheless, if I look for what is used most of the time, I will get a good idea so, thanks...yours is a very good solution.

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    Everybody, thanks for the advice. I'm taking away some good ideas but what sticks out is that your identifying the names of these audits as proper nouns. This is a great clue. I am thinking I can now determine if these names are indeed proper nouns. In addition, I will review this agency's materials for clues.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi Commonman - oops - CommonMan:)
    That's a clue to my preferred solution - which Beth has suggested already - follow the example of the agency you are writing for.

Otherwise, I would be inclined not to capitalise the word audit unless (for example) Focused Assessment Audit is a formally recognised process. Looking at Google examples (another useful indicator, no more) shows both capitalised and uncapitalised forms - Focused Assessment audit looks fine to me.

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    Here is a section taken from an official document:

This rule publishes changes to requirements related to the Immigration User Fee Account (IUFA). The rule amends existing regulations to comply with the 1991 and 1994 Department of Justice Appropriations Acts. In addition, this rule changes where remittances shall be sent; requires additional information in the remittance and statement procedures for fees; clarifies how remittances shall be paid; and makes a nomenclature change. Two minor technical corrections are also being made to correct errors in the text of the regulations.

If I'm referring to an audit of an airline which focuses on the collection and remittance of their user fees, should I refer to it as a "user fee audit" or a "User Fee Audit?"

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    I think I may be agonizing over this too much but I have seen documents from the orgainization that use both the capitalized form and the other small caps form. It's confusing!

french4beth

US-English
    I think that if you're referring to audits in general, you could go with lower case - i.e. "... a user fee audit is conducted on a quarterly basis." If you're referring to a specific audit, I'd go with capital letters: "... as referenced in the 2001 4th Quarter 'User Audit Fee'."

Hope this helps!

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    In reference to the excerpt above, the audit to which I want to refer are not just an audit relating to Immigration User Fees but 4 different types of user fees required to be collected by airlines coming into the U.S. from foreign destinations. I'll quit blabbing on about this problem and take in all the kind advise you have furnished so far.

CommonMan

English, U.S.A.
    Beth,

Okay, yes...I am writing something like this: John conducted several user fee audits during 2006. Or, John is currently conducting a user fee audit. So, I think this would fall under the category of the general reference.

Thank you,

CM