Caporale Maggiore Scelto

LaVespista

English - Ireland
Salve a tutti,

non so se questo grado di soldato "Caporale Maggiore Scelto" ha una traduzione diretta in inglese o no. Ho trovato solo "Corporal" come traduzione di "Caporale Maggiore" su un altro sito ma non so come tradurre "Scelto" in un contesto militare.

• kaiman

Italian
    Very tricky question...
    If you need a rank comparison there is a NATO table in a document called "STANAG 2116", but I don't think it goes as low as corporal or private. Also, consider that many (Italian) ranks changed quite recently, and they have no real equivalence to other armed forces... Even worse, you may find four or five Italian ranks "squeezed" in just one UK/USA rank...
    If, on the other hand, you need just a rough translation, I think "corporal" will just do fine unless you need to stress a difference between two similar ranks. In this case, I'd use the untranslated form indicating whichever is higher/lower

LaVespista

English - Ireland
    Thanks a lot for all your replies. The document I'm translating is a police report of an accident in which a "Caporale Maggiore Scelto" was an eyewitness. As there seems to be no direct relation between this rank and either US or UK ranks and given that the document is being sent to Denmark, I think I'm going to just go with Corporal.

Grazie ancora a tutti!